Merge/Union of polylines

Hi there!

A former user of Vectorworks, I stumbled upon the challenge to simply merge two polygons. Say I have a larger rectangle and a smaller one overlapping, and I want to create a polygon containing the area covered by both: How do I do that? I use Autodesk Map 3D

Thanks for your help!

Fabian

Reply to
lutralutra

Hi Roy!

Thanks for your fast reply. I will try it tomorrow. But by the way: I guess I have mixed up with the difference between polygones and polylines. It does not matter if the figure at the end is a polygone or a closed polyline. I guess it might be impossible by definition to create a Autocad-polygon merging to polygons the way I described it.

Fabian

Reply to
lutralutra

excellent question. I have no idea.

wait, how about this.

if the polygons are in the same plane make regions out of them (REGION command)and use the UNION command to join them. then if you really need polygons you COULD explode and pedit them back together.

or explode, fillet and pedit. six in one hand.......

hope that helps.

roy

Reply to
roy

Omit the Z value --- use the .xy filter when you draw the new one.

Reply to
per.corell

not familiar with the Map add in, but yes, all your line segments need to be in one plane before you can join polylines. I have a little lisp I fabricated that sets all the Z's to zero in the entire file. brute force, but I use it when I am uncertain WHICH lines are not coplaner, and don't care if there are NO elevated segments.

the way I draw, it would be REAL TEDIOUS to use a filter so frequently as drawing new segments....

cheers.

Reply to
roy

I draw a rectangle around the whole thing.. then using bpoly , pick a point inside the new pline, but outside of the two that overlap. Erase the temp pline we just made.. and the duplicate that was created during bpoly.. but you'll get a pline that goes around the 2 overlapping rectangles.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
sw