overlay question to save time and money. Have Autocad R14 and 2005

I have two scanned images (usually tif) of maps at different
scales; a flood map (typically 1"=2000') and a parcel map of
varying scale. What I want to do is overlay them and adjust one
image up or down proportionatly to match the other image. Both images
have section lines; that will make it easy to align.
More than likely the flood map would be made transparent to look like a
watermark over the parcel map. I have to do this operation some days
20-30 times and waste TONS of paper at a copier resizing one of the
maps a few times, then using a light table draw the parcel lines over
the flood image.
I could also use this process to verify zoning over parcel maps (zoning
typically 1"=2000' township or 400' section)
I am serious, if I could find a way to do this, I would typically
save a ream of copy paper a week minimum (and copier toner to boot!).
Please help!, Thanks
Reply to
mcgrath
Does it have to be AutoCAD? I have used Adobe Photoshop for similar work, since in that software you can set the opacity of one in relation to the other.
Brian.
Reply to
Brian Salt
If you can overlay images, I would like to know how. But, could you put the images in model space and use overlapping viewports in paper space?
I hardly ever work with image files. I hope to learn something here.
roy
Reply to
roy
Roy - I thought in 13 or 14 I did this many years ago. I also used AutoCad Map 3.0 for a little while and it may have had a way to do it. Thanks for the response. If I do find a way I will make sure to post.
Brian - Adobe is another option I was thinking about and posted about the same question there. Thanks for the heads up. I don't use (or have Photoshop) so I will have to get it and try it out. Thanks again.
Reply to
mcgrath
I've been fiddling with R14 and a couple of images. Although you have image adjustments (brightness, contrast, fade) and a transparency control (ON/OFF only!), I have been unable to 'see' through one image so as to position it over the other as you want. So I gave up! :-((
Brian.
Reply to
Brian Salt
I used to use a program called Cadraster LTX which I think will do what you want. I used to superimpose scans of the original dwg with a scan of the revised version, one in red monochrome and the other in blue monochrome, to easily see what had been revised. I think you could vary the transparency but I'm not sure. You used to be able to get a free trial.
Reply to
Mike Harrison
I'd have to agree with Brian. Use PS or similar image editing pgm. Albeit I've never tried this in acad. Dan
Reply to
Dan Deckert
In Autocad,, type "image" use the dialogue box to load the image. Insert it into the drawing at a scale that's adequate to see. Do it again for the second image. Then scale 1 against the other. Laying them one on the other is tricky but you can use clip to clip an image. Or draw the lines off the overlaid image using autocad,, then delete the image.
Hope this helps.
Scott.
Reply to
sw