sketching onto the picture

Hello,

how to make sketch that is based on image file (jpg, bmp, ...) in pro/e wf2. I need to build models that look exactly the same as designer planned. So I'd like to scan the pictures and sketch on them to make my features.

Until now I used Acad for that and imported dxf, etc. Is there better way to do that?

Thanks m

Reply to
maddz

In the absence of something more specific about raster formats, you might look at the help files for Data Exchange / Interface (you can read dxf). Might help you determine the best way to do about it based on what you've got to start with. Or, just scan the extensions in the open or insert dialogs?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Here's the trick:

Scan your image to make it .jpg, .tif, etc. Then, create a flat surface the same size as the sketch. If it's on an 8.5x11 piece of paper and you scanned it at 100%, sketch an 8.5x11 rectangular surface.

Next, go into View>Colors & Appearances, and create a new color. Under the Map tab add a decal to it. Load the .jpg as the decal and size it so that it exactly covers the flat surface.

You now have the artwork in ProE at scale. You can use this surface as your sketch plane and draw overtop the entities. Of course, it's still all free-hand since you can reference the image.......but it's better than nothing! I've done it several times to bring things like safety warning labels in - the ones where they show flames or a hand or a person. I would generate a sketched datum curve over it with all the sketches you need to build the part, because once you add that first feature, the decal-ed surface will be consumed by it, whereas you will always see the yellow lines of the datum curve.

Regards

Reply to
Pete

In addition to what Pete says, there's a feature called trace sketch, maybe in ISDX, that lets you snap the curves to highlighted ares of a graphic. It might work better with line art or harder edged tiff graphics. Maybe converting from jpeg to gray scale or black and white. There's an option in config.pro which enables this called tracesketch and should be set to yes.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

. Of course, it's

Ooops! Little typo there which I didn't notice until now.....it should have read "you can't reference the image"........

Funny what a difference one letter can make.

Regards

Reply to
Pete

Thank you all! I'll try it.