Import logo from Adobe Illustrator

I am doing a project now for a customer that wants his logo embossed on the part. He gave me with a .pdf file of his logo. It is basically very fancy
text with lots of loopity-loops and such. I need to get this logo into a sketch so that I can extrude it.
I first tried to save it as a graphics image and use WinTopo to create the geometry. This failed. The geometry wasn't even close to being usable.
I then called the graphics designer directly. She uses Adobe Illustrator. She told me that she could export it as a .dxf or .dwg though she had never done this before.
The first attempt produced nothing but crosshatch when opened in AutoCAD, and absolutely nothing when imported into SolidWorks.
She found some export settings or something and re-exported.
This time it opened perfect in AutoCAD, but only about 50% of the entities (splines) would import into SW. I got this error message: Entity not imported, type Spline, Handle: 8C Entity not imported, type Spline, Handle: 86 Entity not imported, type Spline, Handle: 7F Entity not imported, type Spline, Handle: 79 etc. etc.
I know nothing about Adobe Illustrator. And she knows nothing about exporting it to CAD. Does anyone know of a way that I could get this done? I am all out of ideas.
TIA
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.
Seth Renigar wrote:

Frank,
I had interesting results doing this.
Before, there were 17 splines that wouldn't import which made up approx. 70-80% of the geometry. So I only got around 20-30% actual good geometry.
After exploding as you suggested, there were 72 splines that didn't import. But since there was a LOT more splines to start with, that still left about 80-90% of the geometry that DID import. I think I may be able to fudge the last 10-20% by tracing over a sketch picture.
To trace the whole image would have taken days. This at least reduces that time to a somewhat tolerable level.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to remember that...
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

the
fancy
never
done?
I did try this. It processed for around 40 minutes and never finished. I needed my machine back so I had to end the task before completing. I will try this again today just before I leave work so that I can let it process.
By the way, I assume the "fuzz distance" of .06 is metric. I entered .002 for inches (should be about the same).
FYI - There are about 58000 lines in this logo drawing after exploding everything.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

As my I.D. days get further and further behind me, it gets harder to remember these things.
If you have access to Adobe Illustrator, then you may be able to do some editing to prepare for the export. Crosshatches? There is no need for filled blocks. Create outlines and remove block shapes. Make sure there are no entities on hidden layers. Convert text to shapes and keep only outlines.
Also, there may be a way in Illustrator to change splines to simething more friendly. That, or just brute-force redraw in Illustrator.
Worst case scenario: Ghostscript can convert the PDF to TIFF or BMP, and you trace.
Seth Renigar wrote:

on the

very fancy

into a

create the

usable.
Illustrator.
never
AutoCAD,
entities
done?

Ok, from acad, save it as an R12 DXF
Now open the DXF in *Notepad* Search down from the top of the file for the word "ENTITIES" , without the quotation marks.
There will be 3 lines before it: 0 SECTION 2
erase every line ABOVE THAT ZERO to the beginning of the file (starting with "ENDSEC" in the line above the sero.)
Save and retry reading in with your fav cad or cam app.
Man!!! All these possible solutions, and I have since gotten temporarily pulled off this project to work on a different hot, hot project. I will give some of these a try in the next day or two.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Just to let everyone know,
Brian Mears helped me out with this problem by taking the Adobe Illustrator (.ai) file and running it through a program called Bezarc. It produced perfect CAD data without a single spline in the geometry. Instead, the sketch consists of lines and arcs only which simplifies the data a LOT and still looks just like the logo.
From what I have seen, I am going to purchase a seat of Bezarc. If you also have a need to get data from an Illustrator document, I highly recommend it for you as well.
I would like to thank everyone again for your input and ideas. I am sure that several of these solutions would have worked to some degree or another. But I doubt any of them would have produced better quality than Brian did with the Bezarc program.
This group is great!
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.