Lost in translation.

Sometimes I have to output a .drw file into something our packaging designers can use in Adobe Illustrator. They use it to create dielines to trim labels and cards in their packages. It might for example be a card that in 3D folds in a package. I flatten it in Sheet Metal, do a drawing of the flat pattern and output the file for the packaging people.

I usually export to dxf, and the entities come out as splines with control points. Trouble is when they import these files into Illustrator they often invert the control points, so what looks like a spline from a distance is actually looping back on itself, like a string with big thumbknots tied in it. So if this entity is used in our vinyl cutter (like a printer except it cuts vinyl) it tends to get very confused. Anyone had this kind of problem? We use to export the drawing to iges, then import it into Autocad 14, then save it to dxf. (AC 14 was the last release to translate between iges and dxf or dwg.) Now I can't install 14 on Vista, and anyway there must be a more sensible option. Illustrator also takes pdf, but I'm pretty sure we're getting the same problem there.

Reply to
graminator

[...]

I really wish I had more experience with all of Pro/e's export formats. Well, I thought I remembered Pro/e exporting to .ai files (for Adobe Illustrator). Maybe it just imports those, don't know. But, anyway, what happens when you export to DXF and check the box for 'Export splines as polylines'. And, for DXF, why not simply export it in R14 format. Under Eport Options, just pick R14 as the DXF format. No need to actually have ACAD R14 installed. This is the first things I'd try. And if this didn't work, I'd try systematic experiments with different formats to see what worked in AI, or maybe even systematic variation of options in each output/input format to see what effect they had. Frankly, though, this is some of the most inside of insider knowledge at PTC and you'd do well to cultivate such a source. Or maybe they'll just tell you to buy some enhanced translator interface for AI. I'm pretty sure there is one.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

I thought I remembered Pro/e exporting to .ai files (for Adobe Illustrator). Maybe it just imports those, don't know. But, anyway, what happens when you export to DXF and check the box for 'Export splines as polylines'. And, for DXF, why not simply export it in R14 format. Under Eport Options, just pick R14 as the DXF format. No need to actually have ACAD R14 installed. This is the first things I'd try. And if this didn't work, I'd try systematic experiments with different formats to see what worked in AI, or maybe even systematic variation of options in each output/input format to see what effect they had. Frankly, though, this is some of the most inside of insider knowledge at PTC and you'd do well to cultivate such a source. Or maybe they'll just tell you to buy some enhanced translator interface for AI. I'm pretty sure there is one.

Thanks. I'm going to try an experiment with different exporting formats, different versions of dxf, pdf etc, when I get the chance. I will also do them all in splines vs polylines. So far neither of the latter options make a difference, but I'll try them all at the same time with all of the different options, in a more scientific manner. there's no .ai export option from drawing mode unfortunately.

Reply to
graminator

Thanks. I'm going to try an experiment with different exporting formats, different versions of dxf, pdf etc, when I get the chance. I will also do them all in splines vs polylines. So far neither of the latter options make a difference, but I'll try them all at the same time with all of the different options, in a more scientific manner. there's no .ai export option from drawing mode unfortunately.

Some other things you could try while you're experimenting: a.. The Illustrator import menu mentions "paths" and lists, among them, PostScript (.ps) files which Pro/e can directly produce from a drawing by printing to file with a postscript driver (built in) b.. It also mentions that it can read .slp files output from Pro/e c.. And it can also read Wavefront .obj files which Pro/e can also produces d.. Finally, it's supposed to directly read ACAD .dwg files which Pro/e exports I'll be shocked if one of these doesn't work.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

[...]

Thanks for that info. I always saw .dwg and .dxf as the same but I'll try those too.

Reply to
graminator