Vector Art work from SW or PW?

I created a rendering from PhotoWorks of a cutaway product shot. It has been used on printed literature no problem. Now I'm being asked to provide a DWG file to our consulatants so they may animate the cutaway for a DVD we are producing. Apparently they don't like the image quality of the image. I don't believe and have yet to come across anything in PhotoWorks that saids it can create vector fully rendered files (don't think it exists). I know Rhino has Penguin to create vector artwork but does SW have anything similar? I figure the only thing I can offer is a higher res rendering from PW... Comments anyone?

Reply to
idprieto

Renderers don't make vector data, they make raster data.

Are you sure they don't want a 3D model to animate in 3DS Max ? You can save the model in an ACIS 1.6 format, which can be read by Autocad and saved as

3DS.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Just in case I am reading your post right....

I am interpreting 'vector art' as 'wireframe representation' of the model.

PWx cannot (as far as I know - I am always careful to throw in that disclaimer) do the specturm of 'non-photorealistic' renderings that Penguin can pull off.

But it CAN render wireframe representations of your models, or hybrid wireframe/shaded versions of your models.

The option is under the 'hand-of-God' icon on your PWx toolbar (tooltip shows it as 'options') under the 'Advanced' tab. You can choose to 'render model and contours' or 'render contours only'.

Warning about rendering 'contours only' (wireframe) - for some stupid, stupid reason, if you just want to render or animate a wireframe of your model, PWx still has to calculate everything else that would go into a regular rendering (reflections, refractions, indirect illumination, shadows, etc) only to throw them away before making the wireframe (contour) render. If you are using PWx for wireframe renderings/animations, turn off all the lights, turn off shadows, and turn off all reflections and refractions (in 'document properties' under the hand of God) - this way PWx won't calculate stuff that it will just throw away anyway.

And, of course, if you want to make a wireframe animation, you might just want to cut out the middle man and set up anit-aliasing (both with SWx and your video card), make your SWx environment wireframe, jack up your screen resolution as high as it will go, and animate your SWx screen.

Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Thanks Mark and Ed,

I've provided SW & IGES files and I will now offer them with an ACIS file per your recommendation Mark. But I don't think any of these will be the proper solution. When I say vector artwork I'm referring to non raster image file fully rendering with materials, color etc... Similar to Illustrator or Corel artwork that can be scaled and zoom in/ zoom out without loosing its crispness. So I don't believe the wire frame image is what they're looking for either. Thanks, David

Reply to
idprieto

There are third-party renderers for 3ds max, maya, lightwave, etc., but I don't know about SW. I use Electric Rain's plug-in

for 3ds max to create all vector artwork (Adobe Illustrator, EPS, etc.) as well as vector Flash assets from 3d meshes. You could try creating the vector files you need by bringing 3d SW content into their standalone package.

Another thought as I type this: Can you just make a single drawing view with no callouts or dimensions and print it out as a PDF? Adobe Illustrator can read PDF content in, and any drawing contours should show up in vector format.

Joel

jhowe