Q: Export a vector graphic form Solidworks 2001 plus

Hallo,

we work with Solidworks 2001 plus on Windows NT / Windows 2000. Can i export a 3D-graphic as an vector graphic for import in adobe illustrator?

-- Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ralph Hopperdietzel

EMU Unterwasserpumpen GmbH Brand Management / Tech. Docu. Telefon: (09281) 974-0 Durchwahl: 395

Reply to
Ralph Hopperdietzel

"Ralph Hopperdietzel" wrote

See our information on vector formats and tools on

you'll meet 2 problems:

1) "printer drivers" tools such as e-Print from
recieve only bitmaps from SolidWorks part or assembly "print", so you will obtain real vectors only from a drawing... 2) I know Illustrator likes EPS, but e-Print exports to EPS only as bitmap (bad quality). Does Illustrator support SVG now ?
Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Ist nicht so schwer.

I have been able to bring dxf into Adobe Illustrator. Sometimes this requires cleanup of the dxf file header (opening the file in a text editor and removing header info).

Another method is to export PDF. SW 2001 does not have direct export, but you can print PDF using PDF995, available at

less than $10(U.S.). You can open/import PDF directly into AI.

Tschau! Roland E.C. Schwarz

Reply to
TheTick

if you save as a pdf file. you can export the pdf file as a post script.

Reply to
Sean Phillips

Hallo Roland,

Beim Export von DXF-Files werden nur die Konturen ausgegeben. Ich möchte aber das komplette Teil als Vektorgraphik haben. (When I export an dxf-file, i have only the outlines. But i need the complete graphic as an vectorgraphic.)

Bei der Ausgabe als PDF-File wird auch nur ein Pixelbild ausgegeben. Ich kann keine einzelnen Flächen bzw. Konturen im Illustartor auswählen. (When i export a ps-file with a printer driver and convert a pdf-file, i have a pixel picture. I can not select individual surfaces or outlines.)

-- Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ralph Hopperdietzel

EMU Unterwasserpumpen GmbH Brand Management / Tech. Docu. Telefon: (09281) 974-0 Durchwahl: 395

Reply to
Ralph Hopperdietzel

Hello Philippe,

When i print from a drawing, have i only the outlines or the complete vector graphic with surfaces and outlines?

We work with Illustrator 8. This version can not support SVG but i can open WMF or EMF.

-- Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ralph Hopperdietzel

EMU Unterwasserpumpen GmbH Brand Management / Tech. Docu. Telefon: (09281) 974-0 Durchwahl: 395

Reply to
Ralph Hopperdietzel

One way is to create a special SW drawing for export. Lay out the views of your part in a drawing with hidden lines removed. Make a copy of each view, set the copy to shaded image, and align it (use "align horizontal/vertical by origin") with the original view. When you export to PDF, you will have a shaded image overlaid with vector line edges.

This may also work with just using a shaded view and setting the view to show HLR edges, but I don't have a copy of AI to check the results.

Reply to
TheTick

Does illustrator allow import of VRML?

Reply to
TheTick

I am not sure what you mean by exporting a "3D-Graphic", but it is possible to a SW drawing as a dxf and bring it into Corel Draw. From there you can save as an EPS for illustrator.

Reply to
Devin Hughey

Hello,

Sorry, i can not import the file format *.vrml in illustrator.

-- Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ralph Hopperdietzel

EMU Unterwasserpumpen GmbH Brand Management / Tech. Docu. Telefon: (09281) 974-0 Durchwahl: 395

Reply to
Ralph Hopperdietzel

Hello Devin,

When i export a dxf and import this file in illustrator or corel draw, i have only the outlines. With "3D-graphic" i mean, i will the complete graphic - outlines with surfaces as a vector graphic.

-- Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ralph Hopperdietzel

EMU Unterwasserpumpen GmbH Brand Management / Tech. Docu. Phon: (09281) 974-395

Reply to
Ralph Hopperdietzel

Ralph Hopperdietzel wrote on 20.11.2003 10:11 Uhr

The best you can do is to save as JPG or TIFF, or save a rendered image for higher resolution. However you will not get the vector art - those are only bitmap. For vector the only possibility is DXF or DWG ( I forget, but I think illustrator imports DWG also).

I am guessing, but are you looking to have filled vector areas (parts, or faces) that you can select and change to another color? If you are looking to make changes to part colors or fill areas, then I think this is not the best way. If that is your goal, to change colors later, then I would suggest Photoshop working with renders in tif or jpg.. But then, I am guessing what you are really trying to do...

Another possibility, it that you can layer the DXF/DWG vector over a TIF/JPG In Illustrator. In this way you get the sharpest vector reproduction your printer can output, combined with the bitmap image below. What I do not know is if the two would actually match-up when layered - might be interesting to try!

Also remember that the resolution of renders in SW is definable, but the Save As JPG or TIF will always be low res.

Regards, Daniel

Reply to
daniel

Hello,

we need the pictures for o&m manuals and repair manuals in different sizes. When i work with vector pictures, i can change the size in Framemaker. When i work with pixel pictures, i must change the size in Photoshop for the optimal resolution and save the files with different resolutions.

When i work with vectors, i have one file for all applications for different sizes. When i work with pixel, i have a lot of the same file with different sizes.