Best graphic card for SolidWorks 2003

I'm about to set up a new workstation with SolidWorks 2003. As graphic card I'm looking at the Matrox Parhelia 512 with 256 MB RAM. Is it one of the best for SolidWorks or should I look for a Nvidia card? The use of SolidWorks will be very intense at this workstation so it's important it's working very smothly!

Regards Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Kjeldsen

I don't what chip Matrox uses, but Nvidia and ATI are recommended to SW use. Both have "gaming" and "pro" versions, where the only difference is price and OpenGl-drivers. For example Nvidia's GeForce can be converted to Quadro with RivaTuner-software.

Reply to
Ilkka Loponen

SW website has a list of cards:

I had a most unpleasant experience with ATI Radeon cards and discovered too late they aren't on the list.

Moe & the boys

Reply to
Moe_Larry_Curly

"Moe_Larry_Curly" skrev i en meddelelse news:BHBab.6048$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

too

I have seen the list, but to me it look like it isn't very well updated - and there is no comments on which cards that have the best performance...

Regards Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Kjeldsen

Jesper,

Do a search of this newsgroup. There have been several discussions RE nvidia and others recently, and several links to recent graphic card reviews - inform yourself as it is an important choice!

I think these were the reviews of the high end cards:

3Dchips.net (I think you will find the link to another review there...)

Good luck! Dan

Reply to
daniel

"daniel" skrev i en meddelelse news:BB90BB70.DAD8% snipped-for-privacy@gratiotdesign.com...

Thank you :-) At Toms Hardware there is a test of the graphic cards and their performance in SolidWorks 2003 - just what I needed.

Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Kjeldsen

Jesper Kjeldsen wrote on 19.9.2003 14:13

You're welcome. Have a look at the other site too (found it for you)

Interesting thing in this review is that they also have a couple lower end gaming cards, and you can see the difference better to the high end cards.

I also have boon looking to upgrade from a Nvidia Ti4600 - which works fine... Except that these level of cards suffer from a major slowdown when you have more than 3 windows open (I think it is three...). When I switched to this card from an even lower end card, I was really happy. But now I really do notice this problem and am considering the Nvidia fx1000. Although, the fx500 is much cheaper, and looks good in all the tests (for SW). I also do a little animation work and the 1000 appears to be a little better for that.

In hindsight, I would say that is does not pay to skimp on the graphics card, as a lot of time spent rotating a model can be either fun or a major drag and time sink.

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
daniel

As much as I like Matrox - the Parhelia was a big disappointment for 3D stuff. I would do some careful research into current drivers, etc. before getting one. Personally, I would go with an Nvidia Quadro some-or-other, or a cheaper one that can be SoftQuadro'ed if you're on a budget.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Ilkka makes a good point.

My experience has been that the CAD or "workstation" video cards are market driven hype. I caution you, don't waste your money.

Starting out I used a $1500 Wildcat CAD marketed video card. That thing left trails all over the screen, what a piece of crap that was. Now, I use a low dollar GeForce MX2 at work ? no problems works great. At home I use a ATI Radean 9500 Pro ? no problems works great. These cards are (very) low priced compared to the marketed CAD versions and perform the same...or in my case better!

Reply to
John Scott

Not to sound like an ass but try searching the group first for relevant posts before posting your question. This subject is discussed on a very regular basis.

Reply to
Devlin

I tried the Nvidia quadro 2 MXR 32Mb and have had NO crashes since changing from a Oxygen 64Mb card,(lots of crashes!) . Cost? £21.00 brand new from ebay! Note this was for a HP 2000/4000 work station, but with a Compaq id number. Hope this helps

Reply to
pete

Also rember that the Nvida Quadros and I think a few more are supporting the new real view feature in SW 2004...just in case You have in mind to upgrade one of these daýs

Krister

Jesper Kjeldsen skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3f6ab3e8$0$169$ snipped-for-privacy@dread11.news.tele.dk...

Reply to
Krister L

I've tried several including the Raytheon and oxygen. Now I'm using the ATI fire gl 8700. It's not the newest one but it works great. I had to get one that would work with an LCD monitor. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube