Best laptop for sw

.. if you have to choose between HP and Compaq due to corp IT policy.
Thanks, Tim K

Dell M60. No matter what, you will want to get one with NVIDIA chipset. We have the same problem as IBM does not have NVIDIA chipsets, only ATI (gag).
Tim wrote:

I haven't seen anyone describe the performance differences.
Please describe the differences between nVIDIA and ATI for the laptops.
Bo
We were finding that the hardware acceleration was dropping out on the IBM T40p. This was escalated to IBM and not resolved so getting comparisons is difficult at best as the cards would not remain in a state that could be easily timed. We did a series of scripted tests across IBM desktops, the IBM T40p and more recently an R series IBM laptop. The R series laptop closely matched the desktops that were running an NVIDIA Quadro 4 980xgl. The Dell M60, running the same tests was 41% faster.
If I am not mistaken, isn't there something about SolidWorks 2004 using the NVIDIA CG technology? I don't think this is available on any of the ATI video subsystems. It doesn't seem to work with the older Quadro cards either (it is grayed out in SW2004).
Bo Clawson wrote:

Hey Bo, SW partnered with NVIDIA. There is a specific feature called "real view" that applies materials to the 3d model in real time, rather than just rendering it in a still shot. This doesnt happen with ATI cards.

Well pick the one with the most powerful CPU & Buss speed and with the best compatible video card.
BUT, IF YOU THINK COMPAQ makes them, then check this out: http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section tagory&include_type=ourbrands
In fact, the Dell 5000 is a straight buyout from Compal, according to the link above. Obviously not the M50/60.
1. What I want to ask is what laptop performance changes people see from Swks 2003 to 2004?
2. Is anyone running a Sager with 2004? (even though 8890-V is a 12 lb monster.) ATI Radion 9600, 3.2 Ghz, 800 mhz bus, 1gig PC-2700 DDR RAM, 16" UXGA (1600x1200) = $2450. WiFi & Bluetooth optional. The 4780-V w/17" WXGA 1440x900 screen = $1900 & 9.2 lbs & probably a better choice for my eyes.
I am looking at upgrading to a new fast laptop, but am tired at the thought plunking down Dell M60 pricing. The last Dell Inspiron 8000 I bought was over $5000 w/options. WAY TOO MUCH.
THANKS - Bo
It's too bad that Discountlaptops only seems to sell notebooks with either the video being either ATI Radeon series chipset or else HP on-board circuitry. I wouldn't go with either one. Can't find any way to give them feedback on their Web site, but I was tempted to write them to tell them why I wouldn't buy from them.
'Sporky'
Bo Clawson wrote:

http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section tagory&include_type=ourbrands
Yes, I'm considering a laptop too - not taken the plunge yet.
Personally I prefer the nVidia cards for Solidworks, I've had good experience of both nVidia Quadro FX1000's and XGL900's, but problems with ATI Radeon and Matrox Parhelia cards, unfortunatley there aren't many laptops with high-end nVidia hardware built-in.
Dell make a laptop with a version of the nVidia FX though - the M60, can't think of any others.
Otherwise the spec' needs to be 'as fast as possible' ........... faster preferably.
jaf

http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section tagory&include_type=ourbrands
I agree with Charles....go for a Dell M60...I've recently got one and the performance is outstanding
Krister L
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:4kDtb.266713$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.wor ldnet.att.net...

I dare take any of your laptops and put them against Alienware's Area 51.
-3.2 P4 -1 gig of DDRAM - NVIDIA or ATI.
That is pretty awesome however, it seems that it only takes up to 1 Gig.
Arthur wrote:

Well not that many laptops can do more. I could be wrong.
I have 2Gigs in my M60
Krister

Yeah it has 2 gigs, but it only goes up to 1.7 for the processor. Yeah it is the mobile chip, but I guess in this case it is a trade off.
3.2 Ghz on the alienware with 1 gig or 1.7 Ghz on the M60 with 2 gigs.
Plus the M60 is $$$. but looks likes is weighs less.
You cant't really compare the P4 3,2GHz with the Pentium M 1,7GHz....the 1,7 feels just as fast as my 2,8 (2x)Xeon
Krister
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:IN5ub.8985$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

is
and on the same note are you really ever going to push beyond the 1 gig of RAM. If that is the case, then you really should be working on a workstation desktop.
Yepp....I'm pushing it beyond 1 gig...and I do have a desktop workstation...also 2 gig....but it's hard to fit it into the briefcase, so that's where the M60 comes in
Krister L
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:B07ub.9141$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

workstation
Thanks for all the Dell help.... sounds like a good machine.
ended up getting a HP ZD7000, hope it's OK..

scratch that. got a M60 off ebay. 1.6 ghz, 1gb. so far so good.

Tim, let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks - Bo