paperspace

Hello I'm trying to learn Paperspace in R14. I've created a drying model space with a border (255 color) that is at 20 scale. Then I've moved to paperspace and created a veiwport with mv but when I select the veiw port border and zoom enter 1/20 * 12, and then list my view port border it is not 0.6 ? what am I missing.

Reply to
JG

try this:

  1. in model space do _line 0,0 100,0
  2. in paper space set viewport scale to 0.05 (1/20=0.05)
  3. measure length of 1 step line in pspace, it must be 5.0 (100/20=5)
Reply to
Evgeny Eraskov

try this:

  1. in model space do _line 0,0 100,0
  2. in paper space set viewport scale to 0.05 (1/20=0.05)
  3. measure length of 1 step line in pspace, it must be 5.0 (100/20=5)

-- Ok I did just as you said and the line measures just as you said

100' in model and 5' in paper. But why can't I get my zoom .6xp to set my veiw port at 0.6 ( 1"=20ft ) It is my understanding that everything in paper is in inches therefore since there are 12" in a foot I"m multiplying 12 times 1/20 or 0.05*12=0.6 since we draw everything in feet being the smallest unit in model

Reply to
JG

How are you measuring lines in modelspace? Modelspace should always be drawn at a scale of 1:1 ie fullscale. If your natural dimensions are inches then a line drawn 20 units long would be equivalent to 20 inches. In paperspace you now set your true scale ie 1" = 20ft. Since your modelspace is in inches the paperspace scale should only be 1/20 or 0.5 NOT

1/20*12 = 0.6. The later would only apply if your are drawing lines in modelspace at a scale as well. This is not good practice. Draw everything in modelspace at 1:1 and paperspace scaling will then be the true scale you require (in this case 1/20 = 0.5). Don't draw in modelspace at scale and then go to paperspace and scale again - way too confusing. Hope this helps. Benny

Reply to
Benny

with the distance command

Yea that's right

My units are feet not inches, we do civil engineering not architectural.

Wrong, my model space units are feet (and decimals of the unit feet)

Nope don't do this.

Not really, I feel like I missing some command sequence in the zoom ...xp or something because I can't seem to get my viewport in paper to be what I calculate it to be. Maybe I don't know how yet to create a viewport properly. ===========================

Reply to
JG

Irrelevant of whether you draw in inches or feet 1"=20' is 1/(20*12)=

1/240=.0042.... That appears to be the real source of your problem.

JG wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G

Zoom1/240XP

Reply to
Chip Harper

That's it ! I was forgetting the old algebra rule of PEMDAS or multiplication before division. If I take 1/20 =.05 then times 12= .06 I violate the rule, how mathematically stupid of me. But if I obey the rule (like you pointed out) I get 1/(20*12)= 0.00416666 or .0042 Thank you for snapping me out of my loop. Now I can concentrate on honing my viewport skills

Reply to
JG

From your lips to a civil person's ears!

Snip

Reply to
Janice G

You know they made it real simply now. Select the viewport and in the properties dialog box you can select a scale. No math or zooming required.

Reply to
Jared Rodrigues

You know they made it real simply now. Select the viewport and in the properties dialog box you can select a scale. No math or zooming required.

The OP is using R14.

Reply to
Chip Harper

Issue was resolved. 1"=20'-0" is 1/240 not 12/20. Not all scales are available as predefined from the properties dialog box. for those that use different scales, being able to calculate the correct scale is very important.

Jared Rodrigues wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G