Please wait; formatting text

Odd... my old post went away...
When loading certain .dwg's, the code at the bottom reads "Please wait; formatting text" and hangs there for 5 - 15 minutes. Any idea why this is?
Also, file is 14 meg. When I cut and paste only the model space to another drawing and save, it goes down to 400k. If I use the original drawing, delete the sheet layouts and save the resulting file size is 30 meg...
Am using AutoCAD 2006 / LDT 2006 / No layer filters. Arial, Brush, Times New Roman and Book Antiqua True Types - the rest are .shx.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
CAA