pre-user question - can I do this?

Hi,
I'm looking for a tool I can use to design and model a small gearbox. I need to both find a way to fit all the bits together and to spin various
input/output shafts and watch what happens.
I'm not particularly into CAD (Sketchup/photoshop is more me when it comes to images) but I do program C++ and Java for a living, so the macro side of it doesn't daunt me *too* much.
What I really want to know is what tool(s) are suitable for doing this? Is it an expert only job or could I get into it without too much trouble?
Thanks
Paul

Look into Blender...

Following that line of thought, this page looks useful - although I haven't used blender in years (Coming from AutoCad, the interface drove me nuts)

Actually, you should look at SolidWorks

Yes, you should ... I've recently had a training in SW, and there's a lot of functionality in it when you want to deal with gearboxes, I think. I'm not good enough with it yet, but IMHO you should look at 3D-software.
Just my 2 cents ...
The Jester