Rubber banding in Autocad

I must have hit the wrong key because suddenly I can't see the "rubber band" effect when doing rectangles, circles and arcs. This is
annoying, particularly for free form arcs because I can no longer see the arc until I click it into position. Did I alter some system variable to do this? How to correct it? Also, does anyone know how to import XREF's and render them with their original materials? Thanks, Kerry
Kerry, Set DRAGMODE to AUTO Can't help with the x ref thing.