scaling line widths for plotter

I'm a beginner using Autodesk Autocad 2005. I have a metric model which has line widths of 2.00 mm and I want to plot this to my Brother
HL-1440 laser printer in two different formats: 1. with the total drawing dimensions and linewidths scaled to fit an 8.5"x11" page. 2. Actual size, with the line widths printing out at 2.00mm and the model extending off the page, if necessary.
So far the only plot I've been able to produce is the entire model reduced to fit the 8.5"x11" page but the line widths at 2.00mm- not scaled in proportion to the drawing.
TIA for your help.
Are you plotting from paper space or model space?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've tried from both with no luck.

If I recall correctly the HL-1440 is a 300 dpi printer with resolution enhancement to 600 dpi. This will cause a problem with the thinnest lines being either omitted entirely or being grossly exaggerated in width. However, this does not appear to be your problem. Check your LTSCALE in model space and PSLTSCALE in paper space. That may be the route to a solution, but I couldn't swear to it. Generally plotting to 8.5x11 of drawings intended for larger sheets is almost always unsatisfactory due to the resolution issues I mentioned above, so I avoid it and have a wide format printer for that function when I want something smaller than 18x24.