Carbon nanotechnology in an 17th century damascus sword

Interesting article about Wootz damascus steel at:

Some of the remarks in the comment section will make you wonder about some
people...
Happy Hammering,
Rob
Wichita, KS
Reply to
Rob Fertner
Not really surprised with the nanotubes - since blacksmiths and kilns have generated carbon Buckey Balls.
A number of years ago it was shown in the blacksmith stove pipes in old Tuscon Arizona.
But these are complex nano tubes. Interesting.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Rob Fertner wrote:
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Here's another site about a guy named Greg Orbach who tried his hand at replicating Wootz steel
Rob Wichita, KS

Rob Fertner
Correction: Greg Obach is the author.
Rob Wichita, KS

Rob Fertner
"Rob Fertner" quoth:
Greg did an impressive demo for us (Maritime Blacksmiths) this past spring. Made a nice little Wootz buiscuit while we watched. Some pics at:
But he used scrap iron, not magic ore from India. I don't know if he or anyone has done serious metallographs or similar studies of his product to compare with the 17th c. specimen in which Marianne Reibold claims to have found carbon nanotubes.
Reply to
Mike Spencer
For more info read some of Verhoeven and Pendray's work on Demascus Steel:
# J.D. Verhoeven, A.H. Pendray and W.E. Dauksch, The Key Role of
Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades, J of Met. 50, No. 9,
58-64 (1998).

# J.D. Verhoeven, Genuine Damascus Steel: A type of banded
microstructure in hypereutectoid steels, Steels Research,73, 347-55
(2002). (acrobat 6 required)
D. Verhoeven, The Mystery of Damascus Blades, ScientificAmerican, Vol. 284, 74-79 (January 2001).
Verhoeven and Alfred Pendray, The Mystery of the DamascusSword, Muse, vol. 2, No. 2, 35-43 (1998). (acrobat 6 required)
Verhoeven, A.H. Pendray and W.E. Dauksch, The Continuing Studyof Damascus Steel: Bars from the Alwar Armory, J of Met. 56, No.9,17-21 (2004).
"MikeSpencer" wrote in messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bogus.nodomain.nowhere...>> "Rob Fertner" quoth:>>> Here's another site...a guy named Greg Orbach who tried his hand at>> replicating Wootz steel>>>>
> Greg did an impressive demo for us (Maritime Blacksmiths) this past> spring. Made a nice little Wootz buiscuit while we watched. Some> pics at:>>
> But he used scrap iron, not magic ore from India. I don't know if he> or anyone has done serious metallographs or similar studies of his> product to compare with the 17th c. specimen in which Marianne Reibold> claims to have found carbon nanotubes.>> --> Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply to
Rob Fertner