Slightly OT Growing old in Britain is not a happy experience

Daily Mail

26th July 2008

Max Hastings

" I am 62, and find life terrific. I get more work done than ever before, because my children have long ago left home and I remain fit. I take pills to keep my blood pressure down and waterworks functioning.

My wife suffers from arthritis and assorted other conditions, so we tease each other about whether it is time for my medication or hers. But we can still ride, play tennis (except against our children) and climb low level mountains. My only unfulfilled ambition is to own an enormous model railway. "

Being old is OK if you have the money spare to enjoy yourselves.

I have come across many men, and some women, in their 70's & 80's at various model train exhibitions and displays who are still active in the mind and body. Their hobby keeps them active in both mind & body.

The men & women who used to work in the days of steam will soon, in relative terms, be gone. Their experiences lost, gone forever. You can read books, watch a video and look at old photo's but being told of a railway journey whilst on the foot plate by a person who did that for many years is something not to be missed.

The old haunts of these people are also fast disappearing into theme pubs or bars.

During my travels as a Building QS I always use to enjoy a quiet pint with a group of locals telling tales. Pilots & ground crew in Norfolk and Lincolnshire telling of their days in the RAF or the rail men of Crewe or Derby. I even met a chap who used to design the models for JCB in timber.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart