How many?

She who must be obeyed, thinks my 24 Locos is a bit much, even when I only run 3 or 4 at a time. However I don't agree (now there's a surprise) How much is enough? How many do you guys have? and how can I sneak more in the house??????? Rob

Reply to
Rob

There's no such word as "enough" ;o)

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

"Rob" wrote

Why sneak them? Tell her to *go away* if she doesn't like you adding to your operational fleet (beats calling it a collection). ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just kidding, she doesn't mind, but I am interested to see how many others have?

Reply to
Rob

We (men playing with trains) are looked on as Sad by the outside world as it is, let it be known there are those amoung us who have to sneak trains into their house and they is no hope! I have heard of a chap who used to go to model shops / swap meets etc and on the way home throw the boxes out of his car window and sneak the models into the house in coat pockets. Now thats sad and I hate litterbugs.

Personally I dont anounce the delivery of every loco that has arrived but the wife pops her head in the train room every now and again and unfortunatley she can count (locos not in service stored on shelving). Even more unfortunate she has an excellent memory so "I have had that one ages" would not wash. I think after my retuern to model railways since Xmas 02 I have aquired about 60 steam and 20 disesels, plus about 20 disesles sold on. I will have enough when there are none I want to buy or perhaps cant afford to buy, so on the first count there is likley to never be enough and hopefully the same will stay true for the second.

A fellow club member who has been modelling for severalyears I guess anounced a few weeks ago he has 450 locos!

All above "00"

Reply to
piemanlarger

Reply to
Gene

I limit myself to one loco purchase per year, so in 45 years of collecting I have ... err... umm.. about 120. I think around the time I reached 100 I noticed that I wasn't keeping up with maintainance.

regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Rich Mackin"

My thoughts exactly.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

My reply to being asked the same question by my lady was 'How many pairs of shoes have you got................' Subject was dropped VERY quickly!!! Mike H

Reply to
jimedvic

In message , Rob writes

I've got 48 (including multiple-units), with at least 6 more on order.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , piemanlarger writes

Attack is the best form of defence!

At work, I have got my team members and the other people in my department, both men and women, passionately interested in the latest happenings on my garden railway.

Anyone who takes the piss is immediately "attacked" about their hobbies, especially those who follow teams of poofters who kick pigs' bladders around for a living. That soon gets them into defensive mode, and the rest is easy!

Reply to
John Sullivan

Rob, A mate of mine living up in Sydney used to buy stacks of locos on his visits here, and didn't want his mum to know how many locos he was buying, so he left most of them down at my place and ran them when he came down on a visit. You can say that you're just minding them for a friend. Regards, Bill

Reply to
William Pearce

It's an interesting question. Up until now, I've been buying one-of-each of locos I'm interested in, but I really need to start being a little more prototypical so another BachRat is on the cards and (if I can afford them), a few Heljan 47s... Then again if I was being prototypical, I shouldn't have bought a Hornby 50 AND Bachmann Deltic...

Whilst I don't make a song and dance about each new model, I don't draw attention either. My problem is my son- he notices every new arrival...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Rob" wrote

In my case, hmmm - don't tell the wife:

British OO - between 40 & 50 American HO - about 30 British O - 6 and one being built plus a dmu Pre-war Hornby O - about 27

That's it I reckon.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Tell her you're taking up smoking 20 a day and going out to the pub twice a week. Then tell her you're giving up but you're going to put all the money you save towards new locos.

Buy two the same and make sure she only ever sees one of them.

How do you cope with a joint account when SWMBO gets to see the statement first every month?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I've got about five for my railway and a couple of HO ones I couldn't face selling when I changed scales.

Considering I'm modelling a station that sees no loco haulage in real life, five locos is probably five too many!

I've also got seven EMUs and one DMU, which is overkill for what I'm modelling, but my temptation levels are too low. I'm even keeping one eye on the forthcoming Bachmann 20, even though I'll have zero use for one. I just love the real-life beasties.

My wife doesn't mind at all. As long as the bills are paid each month and we have a good holiday each year, she's happy.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Currently five 'new layout' locos - with at least one, and more likely a lot more to be added - as well as some old 'Can't bear to get rid' stuff - Hornby A4, A3, Class 58, 9F and Three 0-4-0 tanks.

There's also a couple currently listed on eBay, so until they go into the (less than?) capable hands of my employer (and yes, there were more than a couple of people in our office unhappy when it was announced that there would be no more TPO's...), they count as well.

Never enough though ;-)

Reply to
Stu

In message , Rob writes

30 items of motive power here (DMUs/EMUs included), 2 of which are Swedish HO and the rest are British OO. I'm expecting another one any time soon. Most of them only see occasional use as I don't have a layout of my own yet. However as a single student I don't have any hassle from anyone, the only problem is lack of space to put them.
Reply to
Spyke

Of course there is, as in "not nearly enough".

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Well.... I started out 2003 in 'N' gauge with 2 diesels, 4 steam and an electric loco. All second hand bought a few years ago. Decided to sell the lot as no plans were a foot to build a layout soon. They all went to trusty purchasers on ebay. Ahhhh theres the problem...E-Bay. Hmmmmm. I now have

10 New Steam, 6 New diesels, and 4 New electrics including continental items. There were 7 other locos that were bought and sold too. Then theres the Z scale locos and trackage, 4 so far ..... Oh dear!!.. I think I have a train problem. Well....I dont drink or smoke so I guess its got the ok. Ahh yes, what did the wife say? Well being a joiner I made a 5 foot long by 18" high display case and whacked it up in the hall to display the lot to all. There's bold for you!! I have never disclosed the total spend to SWMBOAT but muttered something about having to up the houshold insurance cover my 'Treasured collection of Engineering artifacts'. Got away with it so far!!
Reply to
Nick Beard