Model Engineering societies around Shropshire.

Hi, I want to get involved with a Model Engineering group near me. Specifically a Railway orientated one, as I want to get involved with Signalling and Telecomms.

Does anyone know of one with such an aspiration?

Regards,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Why model when you can have full-size? The Severn Valley Railway can always use more volunteers, and there is a busy signal & telecomms department.

Charles Lamont

I am told the SVR are quite sniffy about new people. Am I wrong? I am more interested in using new technologies and most steam Railways seem to be only interested in things that happened in the 1950's.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Perhaps some are a bit diffident with new faces, but it takes all sorts to run a railway. I don't know much about the S&T technology.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Well the kind of stuff I am interested in is VOIP technology and deploying it on a wide aera. I also an very interested in Computer controlled signalling.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

No, I don't think you find that at a heritage railway.

Perhaps you should try here (not in Shropshire though):

Charles Lamont

Can't see me getting a pass from 'she who must be obeyed' for going there any time soon.

Thanks for the thought though. Actually I used to be a member of the Sheffield lot in days gone by. I wonder how many clubs there are of that stature in the UK?

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Rob

The SVR uses VoIP technology for its telephony. Steve Bradbury is the man to contact if that's your bag. The signalling side of things is tied to proven (heritage) technology.

Brian

Reply to
1501