Helix

She who must be obeyed has decreed that the layout extension "must be
high enough that I can easily duck underneath it".
This is a not unreasonable request, when you consider that quite often
it is I who have to duck under the layout for various purposes
unconnected with the railway.
There is one small problem, and that is that the garden slopes away from
the house, and in order to gain sufficient height I would need to
install a gradient of much greater than 2%. For various reasons this is
undesirable, and could be avoided if the length of run were much greater
and the line were to loop back on itself while climbing. So therefore I
propose to build a "rectangular helix" of size approx. 16 feet by 8 feet
(two 4-ft radius semicircles joined by 8-ft straights) which should gain
1 foot of height in 2 turns at 1.25% (1 in 80), which is about the same
as the maximum gradient on the existing part of the layout.
My question is, has anybody on the list done this sort of thing before?
-
Reply to
John Sullivan
....>
We don't all have 120' back gardens. :-)
... how about publishing some up to date photos of your layout next time you have a bit of time?
Reply to
Chris Wilson
In message , Chris Wilson writes
Actually it's 175'
I added a couple last weekend.
Reply to
John Sullivan
Haven't done it but just checked the advert in Model Railroader for easy helix which has a 44 inch radius giving a 4 inch rise per turn. approx 1 in 70. could be worth checking out

BTW I do know a (UK based) guy who can provide a kit for helix, if you are interested. Contact me via e-mailif you are interested.
RichC
Reply to
Rich
In message , Rich writes
Yes, I looked at that. It certainly seems interesting.
I'm definitely interested. Is his product suitable for use outdoors?
Reply to
John Sullivan
Not seen anything outdoors but
help.
Click on Construction.
Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Emery
John.
Its Eurotrack this coming weekend. There is a trader (Belgian?) who is often there, and who sells kits for indoor ones. If you like I'll try to ask him if he knows anything about outdoor ones (he speaks no English and my French is now so rusty its virtually non-existent)
Alternatively, why not pop along to Eurotrack yourself? Soberton will be there (plug, plug).
Elliott
Reply to
Elliott Cowton
In message , Elliott Cowton writes
Well, I was going to go to Leatherhead.
Reply to
John Sullivan
The one I know in the uk is really for indoor use. Although as he is the manufacturer he could probalby change the material to make it suitable for outdoor use without much difficulty. Although the indoor version would work in the garden shed you proposed and still leave room for the lawn mower :-)
Reply to
Rich
OK, I'll see if I can find an interpreter...
Reply to
Elliott Cowton
So therefore I
Fleetwood Shaw who lives in Brampton, Cumbria has an O Gauge layout in his garden/tennis court which has a helix with a crossover in the centre allowing trains to cross. Because it's a "round helix" the framework supporting it is mind-numbingly complex. You are wise to go for the rectangular helix. Fleetwood's track rises five feet and takes about an hour to run the full circuit, or rather it did until he started the vegetable garden extension - haven't seen it for three years. I assume you are in Wild Wales; if you are likely to visit this area I'm sure he would like to show it off.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Parkes