Ready made baseboards?

Anyone have contact details (or experiance) of suppliers of ready made baseboards? My carpentry skills are not great and my first attempt at a layout is suffering from a badly built baseboard. Ideally want something modular with legs. Thanks.

Reply to
Nick

Not quite what you want but parents in law had one of these

It was surprisingly stable and I couldn't help thinking it would make a great tressle replacement for a portable layout.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well Ikea do trestles and there are some cheap workmate style Trestles too and Internal Doors to be had

Reply to
Trev

Have a chat with your friendly neighbourhood joiner. If you explain the importance of being level etc a good one would be able to knock up anything you want in no time - but do make sure they know exactly what you want. Dust Mat Dan knocked my baseboards up while I was telling what I wanted!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

I have used a local 'chippie' as my shed is not quite square and purchased ready built would not have fitted. Once he cottoned on to what I wanted, he did a superb job, and quite reasonable. Should you wish to purchase ready made, then I would suggest you have a look at White Rose, in Bedale, North Yorkshire. I visited them twice whilst deciding what to do, and their workmanship is excellent, although comes at a price and they would be unable to accomodate 'fitted' baseboards into an odd area.

Reply to
Keith Patrick

In the January 2009 edition of Model Railroader they showed you the basics of how to build a sectional layout.

Are you going to use it for exhibitions ? If so I strongly suggest you have height adjustable feet on it. One group at Derby were forced to set their layout up on the stage over-lapping the stage trap door.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Most ready made trestles are too low. I looked at the Ikea web page and most of them were 27.5" high. Less that 2'6" - and you want at least 4' otherwise you're looking down on the roofs instead of a more natural train-watching angle.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

That's one long adjustable foot!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In message , Nick writes

Here's one from the NMRA British Region members area web site. Please note that to get the discount you must be a NMRA member At 23GBP for the year the savings on baseboards alone could pay for that. Let me know if you want more info on membership. In the meantime here is the message.

10% off Brilliant Baseboards

NMRA British Region members can now get 10% off the Brilliant Baseboards range. The Brilliant Baseboards range is designed to make baseboard construction easy, simple and cost effective.

Supplied in various standard configurations the baseboards can be easily combined to make any layout configuration.

Owner Ray Regan said. "I believe this is the most innovative idea to simplify baseboard construction for many years"

To compliment the baseboards there is also a full range of leg supports, adjustable feet, track support, etc.

See the range of Brilliant Baseboards at

Phone: 0845 296 87 30 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@brilliant-baseboards.co.uk post: PO Box 249 Wallington Surrey SM6 9XY

Reply to
Mike Hughes

: : Most ready made trestles are too low. I looked at the Ikea web page

Indeed, and most would be to unstable.

: and most of them were 27.5" high. Less that 2'6" - and you want at : least 4' otherwise you're looking down on the roofs instead of a more : natural train-watching angle.

Manny people would disagree with that, certainly were a private layout is concerned, 4' is to high if there are school age kids whilst 4' is also far to high to be able to sit at a control panel and also see what is going on [1] - 4' might well be popular on the exhibition circuit but even then there are issues, again kids can't see, never mind people in wheelchairs...

[1] in an operational sense, rather than a 'train-spotting' sense.
Reply to
Jerry

In message , Jerry writes

The height of my garden railway varies from about three feet at the staging area nearest the house, which is great for forming and reforming trains, to four foot six at the bottom of the garden, which is great for watching the trains go by. This height difference is accounted for by the fact that the garden slopes gently away from the house. Children don't have any trouble viewing my layout, as they are usually accompanied by their parents, who help them get a good viewing position.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

: : Children don't have any trouble viewing my layout,

How would they cope if they were operating the layout?

Reply to
Jerry

I've seen layouts with low level children's sections running things like GE tram engines for them to operate. Typically a low level shunting yard with perhaps a canal dock as an excuse.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Mine is less than 2' high. I enjoy working at a desk and have trains running passed - esp for running in. Then can kneel or sit on the floor when playing. Plus tot has always been able to watch and reach since very small.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon