Live Steam Mallard

Hi all
A friend of mine has recently taken delivery of a 'Live Steam' Mallard and
after wondering what to do with it he has decided to build a layout
using the Live Steam Engine for his use and also, this is the difficult
bit, to combine it with a 12v Mallard for his grandchildren.
So, as we don't think he can run the 17v Steam version at the same time as
the 12v engine he is going to build a loop for the steam version to be
'parked' on and electrically isolated when the 12v system is in use.
I've been 'dragged' into this project to come up with some sort of
electrically interlocked system that can automatically handle the change
over of different types of system.
The last time I used a model railway was 40 years ago with my Hornby
'BO-BO' system with overhead catenary, so I'm a bit of a novice when it
comes to current developments.
Before I reinvent the wheel has there been anything done yet on the subject
of combining 'Live Steam' with 12v?
TIA
Reply to
Barry Higginbottom