masonry nails

Does anyone know what kind of steel the nails are made from? I have been making small wood carving tools out of them and have been asked that. Thank you Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote in news:48a02691-07db-4301-b946- snipped-for-privacy@g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

dunno - have you tried running a "spark test" on one of them?

Reply to
RAM³

Yeah, learn to spark test, danggit. :)

Don't tell me you are a "blacksmith" and don't know how to spark test? ;)

Anyway... you know they are made from the cheapest stuff the factory can get away with, since it's a "one time use" product.

If it were dark out (best to spark test in the dark:) I'd go double check it for you but the way I remember it, they vary from about 1050 to 1075.

File = 1.22% carbon (some are higher) cold chisel and hoof rasp = ~1080 (Enderes brand = 1078:) Schrade Old Timer knife blade = 1095 Ordinary nail = 1010 to 1020.

All you need are "known samples" ...the rest is easy. :)

A good guess after spark testing beats the heck out of a wild-ass guess with no testing?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Hi Alvin, long time no talk to. I did a sparkem test. Look alot like L-6(band saw steel) more sparks that O-1, but I'm very knowledgeable about all this high teck stuff. I is a woodworker (or that is what I tell people). I just grind out a few knives for woodcarvers and wood butchers like me. These chiny masonry nails seem to hold a good edge on the small chisels that I make from them.

Reply to
Richard