Charcoal briquettes

Not me. And leave me out of that stinkin starter fluid too. :)
Dry velvet-mesquite wood here. (I use a sledge hammer to "cut" it to size:) Old hickory spike maul handles are good too.
Rib steaks at medium to medium rare is my favorite.
Oak is good if you're too high for mesquite... Do you understand that one? ;)
Alvin in AZ
Alvin,
Do you really have velvet mesquite? I've been looking for some pieces approx. 3" x 3" x 20". Got anything like that?
Eide

That's all we have here. I noticed when at Deming once (girl friend's family re-union, I was bored and went for a walk in the desert;) and noticed that they have both velvet and honey mesquite.

That size in a clean, heart-wood block? What do you want it for, carving? Or what?
There used to be a "desert hardwoods" sawmill near by but it closed shop. I didn't like their mesquite, it was limbs (there ain't no trunk right?;) and was way to straight grained for knife handles.
I cut my own from the root-crown-limb junction. Is that what you mean or is the straight grained stuff ok?
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/mesq-vs-iron.jpg :)
Your 20" requirement is going to be tough if you're wanting that much figure. :/

Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Actually I have seen in some wood working stores - www types - boards... There are some large trees in southern Texas near river banks. Lots of water - means more growth. It might be wider grain however.
Ranchers have been tearing it up for years so the grass would grow. Indians used to set the range on fire to beat it back for the grass to grow.
Good luck in your search.
Martin
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
I'm going to make caulking mallets for boatbuilding. They will be turned on a lathe. The figure isn't important, it's the density and the interwoven grain that I'm looking for. Do you know which is denser, the honey or the velvet?

The only honey-mesquite wood I've messed with was some crap I bought from Texas Knifemakers Supply. ;) They bragged on it so much, being from Texas and all, I didn't dare send it back and tell 'em it was soft-plain-ugly crap. ;)
Where did you get the idea mesquite was good at any of this anyway?
It's heavy but it's also very-high in minerals.
The stuff will darn near fill your barbque pit up with ashes in just a few fires and that also makes it burn slow, I guess?
I could hardly believe the way the hickory spike-maul handle pieces burned up fast like paper and left almost no ashes the first time I tried cooking steaks on it. It was really weird, I wasn't prepared for the quick burning hickory and had to supplement the fire with mesquite to finish the steaks. A fellow railroader recommended them as a free change of flavor... after I got the hang of cooking on the handles it sure as heck was good tasting/smelling, no kidding on that. :) Mostly just from being different than what I was used to?
I guess it's the high mineral content that's so hard on saws and axes too, but at the same time mesquite breaks easy as anything with a sledge hammer...

YMMV
Wouldn't maple or osage-orange be better as a hammer?
For sure the cool-looking crown is way-too cracked up for what you need!
I can look into some solid limb material, but even that stuff can be full of those large bug-holes. There's stories all over the place about people having thick coffee table tops and suddenly a big-ass beetle chew it's way right out through the polished surface years after the mesquite table was made. :)
Knife handles, pistol grips, cooking steaks, that's about sums up it's best uses? ;)
Are you still game? ;)
Alvin in AZ
You bet! I would be very interested in making something work. Could you contact me off the newsgroup to continue this?
its: me at old branch dot com
Thanks,
Eide

On 17 May 2005 09:53:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Use more garlic. Garlic hides the taste of sulphur from cooking over coal (the taste of garlic _is_ the taste of sulphur compounds)
Mind you - are Texans allowed garlic ? Or do you have to call them "freedom onions" when GWB is watching?

Put up with? Hell I won't use anything else - unless I can get my hands on some good wood. I sneer at gas BBQ grills ;-)
GA (I BBQ in the rain)
Greyangel wrote:

I'm with you! - BBQ 12 months of the year - even living in the rain forest of 90" of rain. We cook cakes, make bread, and generally cook as well as BBQ. We learned the needed way as the Gas Stove we had a few years after marriage went out for the third time - We were on short supply of cash - single earner on state pay - so we learned to cook everything we wanted and need.
Now 40 years later, we just enjoy to cook.
We enjoy cooking corn in the husk, beans, ribs, brisket and bread all at once! What a job.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn