DH-2 Specs?

I work in that environment day in and day out. It has a way of sucking your soul dry. I come home and do the blade work to take myself off to a place that has no place in our net profit world. I want to do "Art" and maybe some day I will be good enough to call it that. In the mean time I just enjoy doing work that I don't have to finish on a time schedule and can do how and when I want ('cept when I gotta be at the job...). I can't imaging actually getting my wages from knife making. If I'm lucky and diligent, I figure it may supplement my income when I retire.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

I few years ago I made up hand hacksaw blade up for a gag gift for a buddy of mine, I made it out of a 12 inch section of a 1 1/2 inch X .062 4 - 5 tooth bandsaw blade that snapped right beside the weld as soon as I hit the hydraulics to tension the band, (same band as what I made fillet knife blades from) . Then I set it up in one of all steel, balck oxided China import hacksaw frame , the ones that look like they could have been made a century ago or yesterday,,

When Mark opened it up he got a good chuckle then went over to the scrap bin and pulled out a short length of 2 X 2 mild steel square stock and put it in the vice, and proceeded to cut it in half about as fast as he does with the Sawzall,, I only made it as a joke, I never intended for it to be actually used for anything,,, but it was a brand new blade when it broke so the teeth were good and sharp,,, I know I wouldn't want to have to run a handsaw like that myself,, but every now and again some young pup will think he's tough so he'll get invited to "Help us out and cut about four 3 inch long pieces of that

2 X 2 square stock, we need a few spacers here." the hacksaw is on the rack qabove the vice.

It's still hanging on the rack in his shop, I saw it there when I was out to his place last night.

Bear

Reply to
bear

"Greyangel" wrote

heh. He wrote an article for Knives Annual talking about stock removal v. forging. I disagreed with him and ordered a distal tapered, curved blade with fullers and a cupped handguard. You can see what I got

She had a sword? No; not to remember it from others.

Jody's pretty much a stock removal guy, isn't he?

Chas

Reply to
Chas

"Greyangel" wrote in news:I82dnd6W-vGsB snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

We sll support your lifestyle choices, but you've got to stop beating yourself up over these things. Have you even told Art how you feel?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Reply to
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Cool story. :) I've thought about doing that with a smaller bandsaw blade but put it in one of the cowboy's big ol' meat saw frames as a test.

Hmmm... need to ask around the machine shop in the community college for a couple foot long piece of varible tooth, bi-metal, bandsaw blade. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Well, that depends on where you work, now doesn't it. Some of the places I've 'worked' you were naked without one, and that four pound razor blade can give you a certain feeling of confidence in 'social situations'. The cops are afraid of my swords, because they know that their vests are just another quilted waistcoat up against them. Not that I'd carve up a cop, mind you, but it's nice to be on an even playing field up close. Respected equal, that's the ticket.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

Good one Bear -

I have a broken blade like that - almost new. What I plan on is making or just buying one - an H saw - the bottom of the H is the blade, and the top of the H is the turnbuckle. The center is the pivot.

Typically used for cutting off the ends of limbs and such like that. I want to put a steel cutting blade - fine is ok - for use on very hard woods. The ones that wood saws jump across the cut area.

It would be handy in cutting wide or bulky things that can't fit in a jaw of a saw. Or simply out in the 'field' away from the saw.

The H allows higher tension than a hacksaw and naturally longer cut.

Mart> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:19:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote: >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You are right, the finer toothed blade like a 12 - 14 pitch or finer work pretty good on hard woods, the 4 - 5 pitch blade wants to bury the teeth even in dry oak,, it works OK on aluminum or harder only.

Reply to
bear

All those things are possible with stock removal... Not necessarily the best way to go about it but, I *could* do it and I'm hardly an expert.

Hmm, honestly don't remember any specifics from the movie but if you cruize the commercial blade seller sites you can find it under fantasy/movie swords

Yeah, I think so. Still, he works in 5160 mostly and does really cool work and manages all the curvy stuff quite well. Check out

you've never been there. Neat work. Big on lost wax cast bronze fittings. Got me interested in trying some casting. Something else to play around with since I've got the capability to melt down lower temperature metals now. I've been successful melting brass brazing rod (muntz metal) into a ceramic form. I figure its a good way to get oddball shapes from readily available brass stock. Later on I want to do pattern welded and Mokume Gane fittings but for now brass will suit.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Haha, Ill run that one by my wife ;)

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Problem with that is you are NEVER on an even playing field with cops, only individuals. I'm mildly curious about what kind of work it would come in handy with. I figure swords as a last ditch defense, as is a gun. Very rarely occasionally necessary and if at all possible, don't get caught. They do have the advantage of scaring off poorly armed rowdies. Again, don't get caught.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Try vending at a gathering of about 5000 rowdy drunks armed with wallhangers, commonly known as an SCA War. Incidents, while not common, have been known to happen. "Mine's bigger' is an effective intimidator, the pistol is the Last Resort, and has yet to be 'displayed'. You never know what a drunk is going to do, alcohol tends to cut off the circulation to the brain.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

Now there is a situation I can imagine ;-) Having the better sword would have a more inspiring affect there - Not to mention knowing how to use it. Snapping a wall hanger in half sounds like a lot of fun.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel