forge power hammer foundation

I've been assembling pieces of a future forge in a 14' x 22' shed that at present has a gravel floor. This week presents the opportunity to get a couple yards of fresh concrete at no cost, so I am thinking of pouring a foundation block for one or two hammers. One is a 70 lb Kinyon air hammer, with a base about 20" x 40". The other I don't know, maybe larger or smaller.

So what is a useful size block to pour? How close to the walls and in what orientation to have useful clearance while not wasting space?

I was thinking of two blocks about 40" square by 18" thick, buried so the top is about 3" below floor level. The hammers would sit on 4x6's to raise the base to grade and provide some shock isolation. Burying the blocks would also avoid interfering with a future slab or other use of the area. I was figuring the forge floor would stay gravel. It's already a cat hangout so a dirt floor is not a great choice.

thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Powell

The 150lb Tiawanese air hammers, similar to the Nazel, have a 58.25" x

59.5" base. If I were you I would plan on owning one of these or something like it one day. So that's one pad 5' x 5'.

Otherwise, you're thinking on pads is the same as mine. Take that for whatever it's worth. ;^)

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

I have often seen such blocks insulated from the rest of the slab by sheets or rubber.

Our big shear is done that way at school.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Bob, you might drop by or phone David Lisch, who has several hammers, one 50# Little Giant that just sits on his floor (the baby hammer), a medium-sized Wolf (the momma hammer) and a huge Wolf (the daddy hammer). He had a lot of heavy concrete work done.

If I had this problem I'd drive down to Tacoma and talk to Grant Sarver, the guy who makes the Off Center Forge tongs. He's real friendly, and he has an awesome place, so it's well worth doing anyway. I think he's the best guy to ask.

You could certainly post to the bulletin board page of

too, there are tons of power hammer guys over there. You can also search their archives.

Grant

Bob Powell wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I didn't have the chance to pour an isolation block for my 25#LG, so I built a shock absorber out of some 1.25" marine plywood and three rubber mudflaps. Just sandwitch the mudflaps between two layers of plywood and bolt the whole thing gently to the floor. Works great, and still no cracks in the 4" concrete floor after eight years.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard