New to blacksmithing? Read this

Sounds good to me, I'll buy.
GA

Greyangel wrote:

He gave a helluva demonstration at the CBA spring conference last year. www.taigoo.com
- ken
On the subject of charcoal - I saw a web site that showed how to build a really cool charcoal making furnace. Basically 50 gallon drum in a brick enclosure. There is an exhaust port on the top side (barrel mounted sideways) that is piped around under the barrel with holes along the pipe under the barrel. You fill the barrel with all the wood you can stuff in there. The theory is you start a wood fire under the barrel and once the inside gets hot enough the wood starts emitting flammable gas which pumps out the exhaust pipe to the underside and burns like a gas stove burner to keep heating the wood after the starter fire burns down. So its self sustaining and self regulating at some point. Once all the wood is good charcoal the flammable gasses stop coming out and the heat source goes out on its own. Looked really cool.
GA

Yup: http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/MAKING%20CHARCOAL.htm - GWE
Greyangel wrote:

Yup! that'd be the one ;-) Cool technique. May have a use for it some day if I ever get to move out of town.
GA

Greyangel wrote:

One caution.... you're building essentially a ramjet engine. Too little gas flow can lead to too much internal pressure and WHOOOOOMP!. If there are specific assembly instructions, follow them to the letter, then stand waaaaay back the first time you fire it up.
Charly

brick
pipe
in
the
pumps
out
gas
waaaaay
Far out! Exploding stuff. Doesn't it need a decent source of oxygen to do that? The design pretty much creates a sealed environment that precludes oxygen... At least after the first little while.
GA
Greyangel wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of a boiler 'explosion', where the internal pressure ruptures a seam or other tensile failure. That's why I didn't write BANG. 55 gallon drums are pretty thin walled for a pressure vessel. Think about what's happening. the initial fire generates combustible gasses, which expand due to the applied heat, and the increased pressure forces them through the 'burner jets' underneath. These gasses are ignited, adding to the applied heat, increasing the pressure, which makes the flow rate through the 'jet' increase, which increases the btu output, which increases the applied heat, which increases the internal pressure, which is sooner or later constricted by the flow restriction of the jet as the flow rate through the orfice approaches mach 1... Whooomph! See Bernoulli's principle and sonic choking for the full math details.
Charly (just trying to keep y'all safe out there)

build a

stuff
once
burner
self
good
goes
little
are
do
precludes
internal
write
about
expand
the
heat,
increase,
the
mach
math
I follow you. I'm assuming the outflow pipe would have to be some minimum diameter and the burner "jets" having a combined minimum diameter as well so that "r" out is never greater than the internal pressure.
GA (still in one piece inspite of the dangers - for now)

Greyangel wrote:

I started out using briquettes. It didn't work very well, and I certainly couldn't have welded with them, but a bunch in a chimney-style starter will get steel hot enough to forge.
- ken
r payne wrote:

Try natural gas and forced air. Hot enough to puddle on a cold dry winter day, welding heat year round, even in 100+ August. It's all about air density, and how much fuel you can shove in. Too oxidizing? Add more fuel. A 1/2" line and an 8" blower on a 1.5 horse motor into four burners in a 24X4X4 box. Can you say 3000 degrees? I can. Best $150 I ever spent. Granted, there are some limitations, but for heavy welding of billet it can't be beat. Add a 25#LG and you've got a factory for damascus. There's fair money to be made just making billet and selling it to other makers as stock. I don't have any trouble getting $50 a foot for knife size stock from cable. That works out to about $80 an hour of 'getting sunburned' time.
Charly .

Sounds cool as anything! :)
And not all that tedious finishing work and second guessing the fickle market and traveling to shows, either I suppose. :)
Where do you advertize, Charly?
As far as being sunburnt, I -stayed- sunburnt from early April to late October -every year- and didn't make even $40 an hour. :)
What do you think GA? :)
Alvin in AZ

Well since I already have a job and my hobby ambitions include forge welding I figure I'll know what I'm doing in say... ten more years or so ;-) I'm thinking if I ever get to the point where I know my stuff and I get thoroughly sick of playing the high tech game, I'll start trying to make an income from blade smithing and related things. Preferably after the 401K plan has had a chance to grow a bit.
GA
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

I don't advertize, word of mouth keeps me as busy as I care to be. I've got a permanent sunburn on my neck, it never goes away, so I guess that's my proof that I'm a real Redneck. I tried advertizing ONCE, made back about half of my investment. Waste of money. My rig takes about 20 minutes to get to heat, and I can cook two pieces of cable at a time. The hammer has custom dies, so I get a thickness and width dimensioned billet out. It'll turn two feet of cable into two feet of billet in about ten minutes. Two feet of billet makes a really nice short sword, or a pair of knives.
Charly
So what do you want for said two foot billet of welded cable? And what's the composition of the metal?
GA (yeah, interested)

Greyangel wrote:

I get $50 a foot for cable to billet, no folds. (Folds are extra, how much depends on how many folds.) This leaves a billet that you can still see the wires in, looking rather like a piece of rope that's been run over by a truck. The wire is oilrig draw wire, so it's probably 1095, 7X19 extra flexible @ 1.5 " dia. . It will harden up past 'file hard' in water, and to 'file hard' in oil. I have a blade that has held a hair popping sharp edge for eight years, so it 's got some carbon in it. I know it's damn tough, think about how much five miles of thickwall drill string weighs. It ends up right at .300" thick by not quite 1.75" wide, which seems to be a good starting point for knives. It forges nicely at low orange, and doesn't exibit any narsty 'memory', like the 6160 axle stock did. Leave me an email, we can work something out.
Charly

what's
the
for
right
work
Thanks Charley! I'm gonna keep it on the resource burner for now. I'm slow and already deep into a current project.
GA
Greyangel wrote:

Whenever... I've cut holes in the walls and drilled holes in the concrete, I'm here to stay. It looks really nice with 304 SS hardware, that nickel white sets off the pattern in the cable..
Charly
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Thank you
snipped-for-privacy@duskmail.com