Re: Induction heating

I think it's a great heating method, particularly for production forging. This process has been around since the '50's and before in
various forms. The main drawback for hobby blacksmiths is the cost of the equipment. A modern machine that will heat a 2" section of a 1" square bar to forging temp in about 15 seconds retails for about $14,000. This is about a 5 KW machine which usually runs on 3 phase power but can be run on single phase. Used machines are very much available in sizes from a few hundred watts up to about a megawatt or so. Machines in the 5 to 10 KW area can be had for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. These machines are very similar to a radio station's transmitter inside, so most of the older machines have high power electron tubes in them and use voltages as high as about 10,000 volts (inside the box). Our blacksmith club, The Guild of Metalsmiths, had a demonstration of one of these machines last fall. Lots of "oohs" and "ahhs", but cost is the main negative factor. I have an old 5KW unit in my shop that is just waiting till I get a round toit to wire it in and try it out.
Pete Stanaitis --------------
Arnar Haugedal wrote:

In the last issue of Model Engineering there was an article about making synthetic cast iron. The author refered to an induction furnace that he and a friend made. I have tried to contact Model Engineering to find a number or address for the author but they haven't responded. Does anyone know anything more about the article or author? Rick

and a

or
anything
Rick,
I did the same search and drew a blank ! There was a reference to an Auzzie induction furnace on one of the casting Yahoo groups about a year ago - I got the chaps email address but he never responded. The info I got then was:
G'Day Andrew,
His name is Robert Walker. He lives down Moe
way in Eastern Victoria. His e-mail is XXXXXXXXXXXX
Cheers
Cameron
If all else fails I'm with Mike Crisp (ME editor) later in the year as we're both lecturing on rhe SM&EE seminars, I'll try and pump him then.
Drop me an email off list and I'll fill in the XX's !
Andrew Mawson