Induction Heating

In a catalogue that dropped through my door there was a table top induction cooker, for not a lot of money. Output was 400w - 1800w, and I got to wondering whether 1800w would be enough to melt a small quantity of cast iron. Max working temp way 240 degrees C, but I'm sure that could be "adjusted" once you'd ripped the guts out of the thing. Any comments from the experts?

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Any weblinks?

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

There are those who have proposed this on the Yahoo group Electro_cast but I am not aware of anyone being sucessful. I think one of the problems is coupling the inductive energy into the lump of iron that is small enough to melt at that low power level and yet keeping the radient heat losses low. The files section of that yahoo group has the circuit for said inductive cooker iirc.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson