Straightening a muffler

I have a Cummins L423D diesel engine that I am trying to slightly fix
up.
It has a muffler that was hit from the top sideways (when the engine
was being moved on a forklift, I suppose).
Anyway, the muffler attaches to exhaust manifold by means of a diamond
shaped flange and two bolts on the far ends of that diamond. (I can
make and post pictures on my webpage).
The impact made that flange non-flat, like a "saddle". The thickness
of the flange is about 1/4". The deflection is about 3/32"
(guesstimate).
I would like to straighten the flange somewhat. I do not have a forge
but I have a piece of rail, some assorted 4140 blocks and sledgehammer
(3 and 8 lbs, IIRC). I also have a decent TIG welder.
I see two choices:
1) try to straighten the flange by putting it on the rail or flat 4140
block and pounding. (cold)
2) Try to weld a little filler to some areas and then grind the
surface to be reasonably flat (should be fine with a gasket).
The muffler's body was also bent a little bit (where the pmuffler's
pipe enters its cylindrical main body) but I already fixed that
sufficiently to provide clearance for the oil fill cap.
So... any flange straightening suggestions will be gratefully
received. I can provide pictures, as I said.
thank you.
Ignoramus11550
Cut the flange off the pipe, flatten appropriately with hydraulic press, sledge and backer, etc. then TIG back on to the pipe.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
How thick is the flange? If not too thick you could use a hand held O/A torch or even a MAPP or propane torch to heat it to red heat.
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
I think that it's a great idea, thanks Pete. Could be the easiest also.
Ignoramus11550
I would say it is 1/4" thick and the size is about 3".
Ignoramus11550
That was my thought too. That or make a new flange and replace the old one - what ever is easier.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Grey
remove the flange and muffler, turn the flange upside down, put a block under the muffler hole, and pull the ends down with a pair of bolts, or a pair of C clamps etc etc. Id take a piece of scrap, drill and tap holes to match the flange holes and use bolts, myself..shrug
This is far far more controlable than beating on it with a BFH.
Gunner
Political Correctness
Gunner
Thanks... I will experiment tonight or in a couple of days...
Ignoramus11550
The best answer is here.
Ignoramus3269