tapping holes

I need to drill and tap holes in 1 inch x1 inch sq. alum. tubing with 1/16 wall thickness . I want to screw 4 side pcs. on the corners for
stiffeners. what size of dril and tap might work or any other suggestions appreciated hlb
The rule of thumb is three threads in the metal.
I'd suggest PEM Nuts they press in and are threaded holes.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/29/2010 8:22 PM, Hlb hlb wrote:

Thanks for reply .Are PEM nuts plastic and who would be most likely to stock them. One more question ? Have you had any experience with astralloy alum. welding rods using acet.and oxy. torch instead of bolting on a side piece thanks hlb
Pem nuts are made out of various metal - Al, SS, and such. I don't recall seeing any in plastic. They would have to be welded.
Check out http://www.pemnet.com Likely have reps on the web.
R.C. Dudek & Company, Inc was/is one. CA, WA, NC.
Check the web.