Where to find metallurgical coal...?

Hello. I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere! I live in Glendale, California. I've called up all the metal shops, welding supply stores, a fireplace store, etc... It's nowhere to be found... Any suggestions?

Reply to
Raffo

Find the nearest chapter to you and contact the contact person. They should be able to help.

Centaur Forge supplies coal, I think, but paying postage on that much weight is a pain in the...

Or try Google and start searching terms like "Blacksmith (name of city near you)" to see what shows up. Same for the word "coal"

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Contact the California Blacksmiths Association

or locate a coal yard. The people you talked to probably don't know what you are talking about. You might be better off just asking for "blacksmith coal" or Pocahontas for starters. Basically, you want a high heat, low sulphur coal, with as little ash as you can get. Finding other blacksmiths in your area is the best way to go. For example, our club, The Guild of Metalsmiths, in the Minneapolis MN area, buys about 20 tons per year for its members. Since we buy a semi load at at time, we can keep the price down for our people. If all else fails, Centaur Forge
sells it in

50# bags.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Sierra Fire and Forge, in Exeter CA uses metalurgical grade *coke*. I think that's what you're asking for. I've used it at this year's Spring Conference, and it's very low-smoke, low fume (unlike regular coal). Hard to light, but once it's going it's like regular coal. Unless you have a very big lot in Glendale, I'm sure you're neighbors and the AQMD will appreciate your using coke (or a propane forge).

Sierra Fire and Forge hosted the recent CBA Spring Conference. They were a very hospitable group--I'd bet you could give them a call and ask who their supplier is.

BTW, if you haven't been to a CBA event, you're missing out. It's a great group of people, and the events are lot of fun!

Reply to
jpolaski