Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Any forged / fabricated metal art on display in San Fran / bay area?
I'll be visiting San Fran in a couple weeks and wanted to check out any galleries, museums, or other venues that have forged and/or fabricated metal sculpture on display. Anyone have any suggestions?...

Homemade anvil from railroad track and 4140 steel
I am not a blacksmith, but would like to have a anvil like object for pounding stuff. Because of the above and lack of space, I would like not to spend too much on a real anvil. I do, however, have...
23
23

Anvil touch-up
Got a new-to-me anvil today - Peter Wright patent "solid wrought" marked for 146 lbs (1 1 6). Should on the whole be an improvement from my 104 lb cast-with-steel-top unit, assuming I get much time to...
30
30

Attwood Anvils
Hello, Does anyone know anything about Attwood (UK) anvils? Good/Bad or otherwise? Cheers. JPS
1
1

Discoloration on 304 and 340 Stainless Steel in Barbeque Cooker
I plan to build a custom brick grill area outdoors in my patio and have selected some stainless steel doors for storage. The doors are 304 SS and the frames are 340 SS. At one end of this brick...
2
2

Gas forge revisited
Gday all, Ok its back to the gas forge again - sorry if you are getting sick of this topic :-) But I'm getting towards a working forge. To start, I decided to go Venturi and build them to Ron Reil's...
7
7

tempering tongs and the like
My first projects will be to make some tongs. I am wondering how one handles the tempering part of doing this. I imagine it is very easy to crystalize the project if one doesn't know what they are do,...
5
5

BAKCA meetings
Alex wrote:
9
9

San salvilo blacksmithing school
Has anyone visited or taken classes at the San Salvilo school in Italy? I have heard a bit about it but havent spoken with anyone who has gone. If you have please post. Andrew
1
1

Lawn mower blade material, again
This post relates the "Steel for Knife making" post by "rider" to on 8/31/06. The thread changed migrated from knives to lawn mower blades, so here I am. Last week at a threshing show, a guy brought...
6
6

Top 50 Blacksmithing Sites
I just found this link. ---And devastated that my own website is not among them (just kidding). Top 50 Blacksmithing Sites Stanaitis

gas forge burner question
Gday all, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a blown burner over a venturi or atmospheric type? I trying to decide which type to build, I know I know, build both and test.... :-)...
28
28

Peoria, Illinois Fall Blacksmithing Workshops
The Sun Foundation for the Arts and Sciences and the Illinois Valley Blacksmithing Association will hold their 16th annual fall Blacksmithing Workshops in Peoria, Illinois beginning September 9....
1
1

Art of Horse Shoeing Vintage 1922 FA
The Art of Horse Shoeing by William Hunting 1922 VGC 223 pages. Superb copy of this scarce book in lovely condition,absolutely packed with illustrations. Some headings :- Form & Action of the foot /...
2
2

First un-suck knife
Strictly speaking this is off-topic since I used stock removal rather than forging techniques to make this knife. On the other hand, the blade started out straight and only took on its gentle curve...
9
9