an idea for free

How about a secondary starter using spring power, possibly pumped up with a hydraulic foot petal. Of course it would have to be freewheel somehow.

Now if your battery is dead, pump that extra pedal 4-5 times, and hit the start lever, and it cranke the motor 4-5 times.

Ok, that idea doesn't work for some reason, here's another... Use the pedal and a spring to generate the amps to turn the starter. Pump it up...turn the key...and hit the release lever, when it starts, let off the key like normal.

Reply to
vinny

Wait a minite, your in Disney World? Never gets cold. Why dead battery? Leave lights on - like dumbass me?(no auto lights on my Fucus) Those battery pack jumpers are a good investment at 30-40bucks Gets cold up here, weak batteries show up quick when its below zero fer a week or so, especially if your oil is sludge like. I always buy the most CCA cheap ass battery every few years. Cheap insurance. Up in Minn. alot of folks have dual batteries.

But the starter idea is good. Maybe for people in very isolated areas?

Inspect & clean your battery connections once a year, keep your oil changed. Check tire pressures when temp drops. Nay thats too easy, get a AAA membership, they'll come & get ya. 3 free tows a year. Its worth it for women + all the travel benni's.

Ah the good old days on the farm...... hand crank the Allis Chalmers.

1/4 stroke at a time. If you'd go around more, it might back fire & break your wrist. Magneto's - who needs a stinkin battery?
Reply to
cncmillgil

Gil:

Heh, I had a Vertex Magneto in my 6-71 Blown Big Block '82 Camaro. Still need an alternator/generator battery system to operate the starter, lights, power windows, power seats, CD players, GPS systems... and don't forget those backseat SUV DVD players, wireless headphones & and flip down video game players. All those creature comforts that we've come to expect as essential to our mobile lifestyles. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

[...]

1) Every gram added to a vehicle costs you real money to accelerate and decelerate. Therefore, you have to be very careful in deciding that adding that mass gives you advantages that outweigh it's losses. 2) Batteries that are on their way out normally signal that fact clearly before they finally pack it in, so your spring and overrunning clutch idea has application only in those very limited circumstances where the battery is discharged by accident or fails without warning.

You can engineer features into a car that allow you to repel Pirate attack but you have to admit that this is somewhat unlikely and perhaps a waste of your valuable time.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

W:

I actually heard of someone that installed scythe like blades under his cars by the driver's door. If a carjacker came up to his car he supposedly could push a button and the blades would extend and hack into the carjackers ankles and perhaps with enough force to cut those puppies right off. Pretty neat idea if you're in a high rate of car jackings area. ALTHOUGH, the lawsuit from successfully activating THAT mechanism would probably be more than a little prohibitive, eh. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

I was always under the assumption lead acid batteries were recycled. There is a core charge when you buy a new one. I recycle all batteries. Al cans,plastic, paper,glass, steel get sorted at my house. I cut my garbage in 1/2 maybe 3/4? but 4-5 bins for recycle. Its a pain, because no one else seems to think its important that AL is for ever recyclable. Garbage day is fun for me:-( Damn Al is down to 33c/ lb. Shoulda took mine in a few weeks ago at 40! Who knows, maybe that MGD can will be on a manned mars rover in 2100? Unless its all over in 2012

Reply to
cncmillgil

(...)

I thought I was pretty 'far out there' with my 'Pirate' example, Bob.

Truth *is* stranger than fiction.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston