Auto industry sinking fast...others to come?

To say that the domestic car industry is on life support would be an understatement.

In your opinion, what other US industries may follow as the economy worsens?

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

All the industries that have unions.

Reply to
Buerste

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:4f51168a-76c8-4329- snipped-for-privacy@g31g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

They are all in trouble. There are only three manufacturing industries that have any glimmer of life: medical, firearms, and defense. All three are in the administration's crosshairs. As a result very few companies in those industries are making investments in capacity or hiring.

Why should anyone be surprised? There was zip in the stimulus package for manufacturers and according to the administration's own numbers the giant deficit spending of the stimulus "plan" has only made the economy worse. Read -

The economy is in worse shape now than Obama predicted where it would be if we did nothing. So they were wrong, or they lied, or they miscalculated. Pick whatever excuse you want, none makes me feel like they are qualified to reform health care or energy.

Likewise, the people that have money are keeping it on the sidelines. This administration has done nothing to make them feel any better about investing.

On the bright side the media's love affair with Obama might be coming to a close. The White House Press Corp has taken to laughing openly at Robert Gibbs attempts to spin the latest bungle. Who knows? Maybe there can be a little debate before the next $9 trillion is pissed away.

Reply to
D Murphy

Doesn't look like it Dan.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Is there anyone that is not laughing at Gibbs trying to say that Joe Biden did not mean thatt he would recommend that his family not get on an airplane or in a subway. That Joe really meant that if his family had the flu, that they should not get on an airplane. Laughter was my immediate reaction.

It was just funny to see them try to say that Joe meant something entirely different. Just funny how they thought a statement from them would change reality.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e14g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Grow the economy. Government largesse doesn't do that. Never has, never will.

Short term it would have been smarter to put money directly in the hands of consumers. The mortgage mess still hasn't been dealt with effectively, and some incentive is needed to spur investment.

If I were going to make a bet on whether the private sector or the government would pull the economy out of recession, my money would go to the private sector. But not in the form of welfare to bankrupt conglomerates. They don't create jobs nor do they do much innovating.

Longer term it would be best for the country to invest in sectors that create value. The ones that take anything from ideas to raw materials and turn them into products that consumers around the world want to buy. Manufacturing, agriculture, software, etc. Not only do we lag behind in education for industrial occupations such as engineering, but those occupations and trades are looked down upon. It's a social problem as much as anything.

I would also reform immigration. Population growth fuels economic growth and vice versa. We are in a position to be more selective when it comes to immigration. We should become a "brain drain" instead of a welfare nanny to a failed, corrupt country.

Tax reform would be on the list too. The current tax system with loopholes for special interests has to go. We need to bring corporate taxes in line with other industrial nations to be competitive. The IRS and the income tax needs to go too. We need a simpler, more equitable tax system.

Our import taxes and trade policies should be like a mirror. If your country imposes heavy duties and restrictions on US made goods, then the US will do the same to you. Simple. Fuck the WTO if they don't like it.

Utter nonsense. Manufacturing was sold out long before Bush, although he's culpable in that he didn't do zip to fix the situation.

Get you myopic head out of your ass and look up who granted China "Most Favored Nation" trading status, who signed NAFTA, and which party recieves the most money from the banking and insurance indistries.

Face it. Both parties have lost sight of who they serve. They are both corrupt. It's time to vote every incumbant candidate out of office.

I live where the current crop of ass clowns come from. There will be no airing of ideas. You really don't understand the machine politics in Illinois and how utterly contemptable guys like Emanuel and Axelrod are.

Reply to
D Murphy

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:%l6Ll.32482$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

Sad but true. I was at PMTS last week. It was dismal. I expected it to be awful but it exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. Very scary.

I didn't get the attendance figures but it was easily down 50% or more if I had to make a guess.

Reply to
D Murphy

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:6c250bdb-8edb-4639- snipped-for-privacy@s31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

Look up the clip where Jake Tapper from ABC is grilling him about Biden's idiotic comments about avoiding confined spaces for one.

Hint, they ain't laughing with him. They are laughing at him.

Reply to
D Murphy

"When I heard Biden's comments I laughed too...because it was exactly what I had told my own family members about taking mass transportation where they are currently visiting. And I can assure you that advice came from having a very good grasp on what is going on in the H1N1 virus situation which is changing hourly."

Blah Blah Blah

This is what Gibbs should have said in chastizing Biden.

Discretion is known as the better part of valour for a reason you know. There is only one answer when a woman asks a man if her dress makes her ass look fat. That answer is NO, of course not, and it's the truth. It is not, however, the whole truth. The whole truth is that the woman's ass looks fat because it's a fat ass and the result of eating like a pig, stuffing her face with ten thousand calories a day. The dress is irrelevant.

One answer is survivable. The other might get a response that is less than friendly, sort of like the one Biden gave.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:5343eafd-75ca- snipped-for-privacy@u10g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

I'm pretty average and the "piggy sniffles" don't have me wetting the bed.

I laughed too. The most powerful nation in the world has a brain damaged stroke victim who obviously has some sort of drinking issue as its #2.

It's the flu for crying out loud. Get a grip.

And the smartest guys in the room have made the economy worse than their own projections of what would happen if we did NOTHING.

Tony Snow was a much better human being than Gibbs could ever hope to be.

Reply to
D Murphy

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j12g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

They stiil aren't spending.

There is no evidence of that. In fact the outlook is for hyperinflation when the government just prints up more funny money to cover the spending.

Paying off debt puts money back into the banks. The money belongs to the people that earn it. They are better equipped to decide how to spend it than Obama is.

The unemployment figures don't bear that out. In fact the numbers are worse than Obama's own projection of what would happen had we done nothing.

I didn't give him a free pass or did you foget that in your zeal to continue to blame him?

You also forget that Bush inherited a recession too along with the tech bubble and telecom collapse. Not to mention the terror attacks on 9-11.

Again you'll need to cite where I claimed Bush didn't screw up the economy. Otherwise I have no idea where you are getting this from.

Reply to
D Murphy

TMT is a Leftard..and as such...MUST blame Bush for Obamassiahs fuckups.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Dan Murphy for President!! He's got a better idea!! He's willing to be president for a buck a year and stand dead in the center between the left wingers and the right wingers, making sure he only satisfies about 0.05% of the American public. His platform? "Ican drive America to it's knees faster than Obamo or the Taliban, and sing the country faster on the international stage than BigBush and LittleBush combined." he says.

Reply to
clare

"The Man"'s only fault is he is an optimist. He underestimated how badly screwed up the whole system was. The bank bail-outs were in process before he took over - and the bankers (who caused the problem, to a large extent, in the first place) spent the money on expensive "vacations" and "performance bonuses"

Not Obama's fault Looking in from the outside it looks like you've likely got the best president you guys have had in something like 45 years. Quite possibly longer than that.

He definitely stepped ito a bucket of swill worse than any president since the second world war has ever experienced.

A (losing) war on 2 major fronts, worldwide economic collapse, a country on the verge of panic much worse than the cold war (with the bonb shelters etc), and now a threatening health pandemic.

Add to that roughly 39 percent +/- of the country thinks he's too far on one side, while about another 39 percent +/- think he's too far on the other side, and of the other roughly 22 percent, half don't care because they are stoned out of their mind and the other half are too scared to say anything because they'll be attacked from both sides if they do. I've never seen a country so hell-bent on destroying itself - and that includes Zimbabwe and South Africa.

They DO have politicians who are both corrupt, ignorant, and dangerous. They DO have something to worry about .

Reply to
clare

Humm..Id vote for him. While Bush was another moderate...Dan is also another moderate. Obama of course is a Marxist, along with the power behind the DNC...so yes indeed..Id vote for Wes. Better we remain a power..than the turd world nation the Leftards are wanting to turn us into.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gomer is such a rightard that he has to blame all fuckups on Obama no matter who is responsible for them. He also holds Bush harmless for the trouble we're in now. Talk about an idiot!

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

miscalculated.

Gunner...when will you admit that Bush and the Republicans just did a damn good job of making America a turd world nation?

TMT

Duh? How about never? He'd never hold the republicans responsible for ruining us. In his book it'll always be the fault of Democrats regardless of what the facts are. That's the way the fanatics are. They refuse to accept reality. Even now as Obama struggles to fix all the problems the country is beset by, and that he got the first day he took the job, the right wingers like Gomer already blame him for everything. Anyone can see that he inherited a frightful slate of problems from the guy who left town on Feb

19th. Well, anyone but the right wing. They're beyond seeing the truth. They have blinders on. All you can do is ignore them. Which is what Obama is doing and going ahead and trying to fix what the republicans broke in their eight years of mismanaging the country. We're damn lucky we got him in there doing the job. We could have had McCain. Imagine what that would have done to us.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 03 May 2009 03:32:21 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Dang it, I keep telling you, Elvis is not dead! He just changed his name to Karl Rove. There was no George W. Bush, that's just a solid- light hologram run by Amy Carter. Barak Obama is the Democrats response to what they thought Ronald Reagan was: an actor who looked good, remember his lines and tell good stories. Unfortunately Barak can't remember his lines and needs a teleprompter to keep him on script. But he does ;look Presidential. Just like President Warren T. Harding.

cheers pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Sounds like a Texan living in Cali Fornia

Reply to
clare

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 04 May 2009 15:47:07 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in alt.machines.cnc the following:

Could be, but I'm not one to make character judgments based upon a man's skin tone.

What I had in mind was the story that Harding was chosen to be run for President because he "looked" presidential. Which he did. Unfortunately, the Harding administration was marked by corruption, the most famous being the Teapot Dome Scandal, a case of someone selling off oil leases on what was the Strategic Oil Reserve of it's day. Yep, more corrupt politicos selling off Navy supplies for their own enrichment.

pyotr filipivich