carbide micro end mills

This just showed up in my inbox and may be of interest to the group. ================Emuge Introduces Innovative Micro Machining End Mills.
WEST BOYLSTON, MA U.S.A. (February 19, 2008) Today, Emuge Corp. announced the introduction of their new Solid Carbide Micro End Mills that are specially designed to meet the unique and demanding requirements of micro machining applications. An innovative, geometrically optimized cutting edge combined with a slim, concave, tapered neck provide flexible, high-performance milling solutions in a wide variety of materials from 66 Rc hardened steel to graphite.
The tools are offered in cutting diameters from .2mm (.008) to 2mm (.080), with effective cutting length-to-diameter ratios of 2.2:1, 5:1 and 10:1. <snip> ==============for entire release see http://www.emuge.com/news_events/micro_machining_end_mills.html
F. George McDuffee wrote:

Have a look at these: http://www.pmtnow.com /
Click the Nano tool button and have a look at some really small endmills.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
GarlicDude wrote:

GD:
    .0002 Dia.?!! Jeeze, figuring a standard 1,000 SFPM in alum. your RPM should be 3.82 X 1,000 / .0002 = 19,100,000 RPM. That's 19 MILLION RPM. Or conversely, if you ran it at 10,000 RPM the SFPM would be .262 X .0002 X 10,000 = .524 SFM.
    And figuring a 1% chip load per flute that would be .000002 Now your feed rate should be .000002 X 2 flutes X 19,100,000 RPM = 76 IPM (That is if you could invent a 19 million RPM spindle). LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, Yep, what amazes me is that they can even grind an endmill that small. I wonder if they have them in long and extra long lengths? "Can you neck a couple of those down for me please?"
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Garlic & Bottle,
The guy at PMT is Dave Burton. Dave made the mini boring bars for me that I used on my recent trip to buffalo NY. Going into a .019" hole in Titanium I had to bore a recess .100 " from the face. The tools did not break and I even had chip wrap if you can believe that. But I asked Dave to make the tools so I could back bore also. We reversed the tool path and it cut fine with no chip wrap. I wish I had a dollar everytime I asked the guy I was working with when I said "Is the tool still there"?
This guy is amazing. As other Grind Shops kept sending me NO QUOTE after NO QUOTE for making this tool he came back and made samples within a few days. We sell his tools on a regular basis. His packaging is superb. Locking mechanism built into the holder when you buy large qtys so the tools don't break in-transit. I will say PH Horn did quote it at 8-10 weeks around $100 each. Dave's price was $40 each.
The small nano tool on his site appears to be a wire twisted to me. I want to ask him about it. I'm not sure what you would cut with it, but everything is getting smaller and smaller these days.
JR
JRWheels wrote:

Jim:
    You know this guy? It's a small world. Sorry, just couldn't resist the pun. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 03:44:51 -0700 (PDT), JRWheels

Almost spit my coffee when I read this. Made me laugh because I could see myself doing the exact same thing.