Cold trawn material for swiss type

I remember seeing adds for companies who supply cold drawn bars to tolerances compatible with Swiss type machines, but I can't recall any names. Anyone know of any? Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

I remember something along those lines, too. Carpenter? Ugine?

Reply to
Alphonso

Carpenter has been at the top of the list for decades, but there's a long waitng list. Another place as good is udderholm, and there's no waiting list. I would make a soft core every now and then, and the first thing I would do is throw it up on a dedtru to clean it up, and if it wasn't banged sitting on the floor in shipping I swear it would take a couple of tenths tops till it cleaned up. That was crs, hrs, and tool steel. The esr steel literally would have no imperfections whatsoever inside. Pretty amazing considering the bars are 8 feet long/

Reply to
vinny

Specifically I am looking for 303 SS Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

Fry Steel in Los Angeles carries centerless ground and cold finished 303:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Fry doesn't have it. That is they have 303 SS but not CD in Swiss Tolerances. Like I said I know I have seen these guys I just can call to mind a name.

-Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Reply to
John&Michelle

I agree, I used to buy a lot of 303 from them.

Reply to
Why

Just what tolerance do you think you need? I use Fry's material in my Swiss almost daily.

Their material is +/-.0005" I hold .0002" with their material. Hell, I hold +/-.0002 with cold drawn material!

The tolerance isn't really what's most important. What really matter is that the bar is straight, and round.

What makes you think you need better than +/-.0005"?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

D&S Wire, in Chicago.

Their prices are OK. For the +/-.0002" shafts I was running at the time, the cost difference between turning Fry's material, vs. feed & cut-off D&S's drawn material, didn't really lean in my favor until quantities got over 10K.

IIRC, their price for drawing it into a coil, to run in an Escomatic, was quite good. Straightening and cutting into 12' lengths is where it began to wash out.

In March '08, they had a 3 week lead time. My customer only ordered

10k pieces and I was able to turn the parts from oversized material, and deliver them, in less time than that.

However, if this customer ever gets production up to the 50k pieces he originally had me quote, I'll most likely go with D&S.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

In the cold drawn form, not in the centerless ground form. I did find Ugitech. They look good. Thanx,

-plh

Reply to
plh

D&S wire does draw the material to Swiss tolerances. I thought that's what you were looking for; drawn material, not ground.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki