Current through mill spindle. WTF?

At new $employer I've spent the past couple weeks doing light hard-milling on 420 stainless on a new (month old) VMC. When making real light finish passes (.001 - .002 DOC with TIALN coated soild carbide end mills) I noticed what appears to be tiny little blue sparks at the cutting edges of the tool when engaged with the material.

I pointed this out to my bossdude and he said they've saw it on the new mill, and an older mill of same model and make. They've got themselves convinced it's a normal reaction between the coated tools and materials. They get the same thing on graphite (EDM electrodes) on the other mill, I've been told.

If it's normal, how come I've never seen any such thing anywhere besides an EDM machine in my 27+ years of doing this stuff? Late yesterday afternoon I was doing some 3D contouring on the new mill and "sneaking up" to some existing surfaces I had to blend to, and when the tool was a couple thou away from from the existing surfaces, I got arcing in the gap between the tool and the workpiece.

At this point I'm now convinced there's current traveling through the spindle while it's turning. No matter how small the current may be, methinks it definitely is not right, and can't be good for the machine itself.

Anybody ever seen anything like this? I'm probably going to need to be armed with some convincing arguments to get a tech to address the problem, and I know f*ck all about electricity except that enough of it had a tendency to be painful. :-/

Reply to
Black Dragon

BD,

Been hard milling and HSM machining for some time now. I've seen this once or twice in all my years but it was done while dry machining and using only air - very light finish cuts. I always use oil/mist. However during HSM of graphite this is more common. I would lean towards that something is wrong. Yes, perhaps its because of the "right conditions" but I would suggest having it checked out. This is interesting so please keep us all updated. btw, care to let us all know the machine?

gary

Black Drag> At new $employer I've spent the past couple weeks doing light

Reply to
g-a-r-y

Did you ever get a chance to try incremental 3D programming on the Fadal with the 18i control?

Reply to
Joe788

If you think there is current going through the spindle check it. That's a simple way to find out. I don't see how it could unless the headstock was completely insulated from the bed.

Reply to
Aluckyguess

Black Dragon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bdhi.local:

It could be static electricity, but I'm kinda leaning toward a bad ground somewhere. It could be the building ground. As dry as it has been this summer on the East coast, it could be that the ground around the electrode is too dry for efficient grounding.

Reply to
Anthony

BD, Electric motors have had bearing problems for years due to stray currents passing through them. 3 phase electric motors work by inducing currents to flow in the armature, so leakage is always a real possibility. If this mill has direct drive spindle that could be the source. This problem should be easy to diagnose. just hold a voltmeter probe lightly against the running spindle and the other end to the table. Anything that has enough energy to produce a spark will show up on the meter. Spindles today are also using ceramic bearings. This could make the problem worse because to bearing don't conduct so the cutting tool would have to.

If the spindle is belt drive, and the air is dry, then the belt and pulleys can work like a Van De Graff generator and build up a large static charge on the spindle. I've seen this problem on various kinds of rotating machinery.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

IF the belt is charging the spindle, spray it with some antistatic spray from an electronics supply place.

A spark indicates electric current flow. This is not a good thing for the bearings since the flow is also through the bearings. If you are seeing sparks I bet if you touch the smooth surface of the running spindle you will feel them too.

Does the machine have ceramic bearings?

John

Reply to
john

That's weird--BUT...(and as as someone else has already suggested)...concievably this could only could happen if there's ceramic bearings.

I say it's probably really nothing to worry your head about.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Thing to do, (I spose) is to see if you get any kinda "jolt" after the spindle has stopped, when releasing the tool manually--IF so, suggest then always run the atc in order to cycle in a different tool beforehand.....

Then next time the bearings get replaced, specify or even mix for yourself some small amount of graphite or other conductive substance into the grease.

Fwiw, one of our cats simply loves it--vigorously pet his fur...then touch his nose....

Bzzzzttt !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

We don't have oil mist, yet, only air. The compressed air is well dried and the shop has been bottled up with the A/C on making the air in it dry too.

I've cut A LOT of graphite on a Roku-Roku and the only time I saw sparks is when I hit a screw holding the graphite in its 3R tooling.

After reading this entire thread, I'm still leaning towards the 'something is wrong'.

It's a Milltronics VM17. Why a VM17 isn't listed on thier web site I have no idea.

The machine itself seems pretty decent. I don't like the control because it's PC based, and because it's missing important to me features such as being able to increment tool and work offsets. To change an offset, you have to do the math yourself and enter a *new* value. A dyslexic moment will f*ck something up and we all get them from time to time. Also, I've seen people here on amc complain about all the soft key pushing one has to do to run a Fanuc control, well, the Milltronics piece has Fanuc beat by having at least twice as many buttons to push to accomplish the same tasks.

Reply to
Black Dragon
[...]

No I didn't, and I no longer work for the company that bought it.

Reply to
Black Dragon

This sounds plausible. They had some major problems with another machine last week that I think was at least partially power related. Thanks.

Reply to
Black Dragon

I did check with a voltmeter but knowing little about electricity I was unsure of what I saw. When touching a probe to the spindle housing and the other to the table with the spindle turning I didn't get a reading. When touching a probe to the rotating tool holder itself and the table I got a reading of about 1.7 volts IIRC. The tool was spinning at about 4K at the time. Can the act of probing a rotating tool generate any current?

The (12K rpm) spindle, I'm told, does have ceramic bearings. I haven't time to research the machine, too busy using it. The first time they have a Milltronics tech in he's going to get bombarded with questions.

Intersting. I didn't know it when I made my original post on the subject, but apparently this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :-)~ Thanks.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Ceramic bearings would do that.

John

Reply to
john

======================= I note that you are a new hire. I will pass on a bit of advise that my Father passed on to me, and which I ignored for some time to my cost. "No body likes a wise-ass."

Having got that out of the way, see below:

googled on >bearing failure "induced current"< and got c. 17,000 hits

see

had to view html version at http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:AzfIA4ZZ3vYJ:
let us know what you find & what happens -- inquiring minds want to know.....

Unka George (George McDuffee)

...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Yes, it has ceramic bearings I'm told. But I'm not sure how the spindle is driven. The mill does have a high and low spindle range so I'm assuming it's not direct drive. Probably belts in there instead of a gearbox. Only Gene Haas was stupid enough to but gear boxes in low powered / inexpensive machines. Easy enough to find out and easy enough, I see, to diagnose if there are in fact belts whether or not they're the source of the current. Thanks.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Where there's a spark there's likely to be erosion if I'm not mistaken, correct? Where's the current going? Is it finding its way down through the ball nuts, into the screws, and out the servos to who knows where, and it there enough to do any damage to those components in the long run?

Those are some of the things that started going through my head when I first saw the sparks.

I do believe there's justified reason for some concern here.

Reply to
Black Dragon

If the spindle is directly driven by the motor with no belts, you have leakage in the motor winding. A check with a good megger will quickly prove that out.

Perhaps, too, that the ceramic bearings themselves are generating the voltage. ( Piezo electric principle).

John

Reply to
john

Bla

The high/low range may be done with changing the pole wiring on the motor, putting the pole pieces in parallel or in series.

A gearbox makes up somewhat for an underpowered machine.

John

Reply to
john

Convert it into an EDM machine :)

Unless you can determine where the voltage is coming from you cannot determine if it will damage anything.

You did say that you had another older machine that has been running for quite a while that was producing sparks too. If that machine is still running fine, I would not be too concerned about it, only interested as to why it is making sparks.

John

Reply to
john