Deburring on the machine

Someone once told me he likes to deburr his parts in the program; that is during or immediately following the initial machining. How is this done?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Turning or milling?

Burs can be eliminated in turning by programmiing a small radius at each axis change; EXCEPT for parting off, the bur can be minimized but there will be some kind of bur left.

Milling burs out can be much more difficult. Sometimes it is faster to just debur by hand.

Reply to
alphonso

If I'm careful about order of operations, and apply a finish cut with a sharp carbide cutter, I minimize burrs. I'll use a wire wheel, vibratory tumbler, a deburring tool, sand paper or a file to remove burrs by hand. You could use a round over cutter or a chamfer cutter, but they still leave a burr. I'll apply a little chamfer with a thread mill before threading to reduce that burr. I've never put in an abrasive flapper wheel or the like because I don't want the abrasive in the mills. I do it in the lathe though.

A high pressure coolant blast can get rid of some burrs.

A little while back Bottle Bob posted a deburring tool that was pretty cool.

I'm anxious to see what other people are doing.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Jim Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

For milling..there are all kinds of abrasive brushes for this purpose. Adds a tool change and some time to the program though.

Reply to
Anthony

Jim, I along with probably most job shops deburr as much as they can on the machine. I usually use a 1/4 diameter 6 flute 90 degree included angle countersink. Program just like an endmill of a certain size. Typically I'll program for a .180 dia endmill, but go .100 deep leaving a .010 chamfer. I'll adjust the chamfer from there to what looks good for the particular part that I'm making.

Reply to
Garlicdude

Check this out. Easier than for deburring castings and such this way. Other than that we almost always machine deburr after operations by running a chamfer mill around all the contours. That way an operator can run more machines and not be tied up deburring.

Russ

Awesomewiz

Opps didn't see your message, posted the link for the brushes we use. They work great, then on the contours just radius any sharp edges with a .010 radius and it comes out great!

Russ

Awesomewiz

For through holes, simply LOVE using THESE :

Generally use w/ g82...specifically, ( in aluminum ) we program an apx 200 MS dwell at the bottom of stroke before pulling it back out in rapid travers.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

We also use 90° chamfering tools (of various different styles) to do deburring in the machine, though we usually use 2 flute ones since we machine aluminum almost extensively.

Reply to
Bryce