Deja vue(I hope) weird as hell

Ok, it's 15 years ago. I get a job for a little less pay than I feel I am worth on nightshift, but in return I got into security plastics, one of the biggest custom molders in florida running camax with pro-e. About as good as you could get at the time. Got my own office.

So I work there for 3 months. I really start to kickass on camax. And then it happened, we ran out of programming due to becoming efficient. And I'm offered to run electrodes off in the mill till programming comes around. So i go out and run a bostomatic. Old but real nice machine, way ahead of its time. After a while I'm asked to run edm and wire, I get a giant raise...then I'm asked to run pro-e at a small shop for 22hr. 15 years ago in Florida that was outragious money. So I took the job. Lasted 7 months and the 2 owners split up and moved to new hampshire.

Now.... Jump ahead 15 years.

I take this job for a bit less than I feel im worth on nightshift, but in return I get a job at the biggest mold shop in western florida running UG.

Here's where it gets weird. UG is CAMAX. They bought Camax and I can see camax all over ug. So I get proficient in 3 months. And we run out of programming. So......I'm offered to run the mills to fill in the time till programming comes around. So I go in today and what am I running? THE SAME DAMN BOSTOMATIC! Not the same style or make, the same damn machine, they bought it from Security plastics when they closed.

Now tell me that's not weird as hell! It's happening all over again exactly!

Hopefully the rest of the story will repeat also.

Reply to
vinny

Vinny, it's a VERY small world. Since we buy old machines we have a couple guys running machines they used years before.

I think you never really run out of programming, it's the lack of work most times. We've slowed drastically so I'm being asked to take a Friday off for the next few weeks. Our clients are tight right now so they pass it on to us. They have contracts but no one has cash to move with the projects. It might just work out that I move on to another shop soon. I was thinking along those lines anyways as my share of health insurance is going up through the roof (save remarks for another thread I think...).

Btw, which Bosto? We have 10 of the damn things! These are the old 4 spindle 4axis and 5axis singles with the 720k floppys! I often joke with the Siemens folks about how come I can never fit my finishing programs on those disks the first try. My first real cnc machine to use was a bosto with the then fancy touch screen Vector Control. Back then I used Computervision's CADDS5 to program with. It was on the same level (if not a bit better) than the UG of those times.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

[...]

Brother Lightfoot

I have 2 citizen f12 screw machines circa 1984 one is SN 744 the other is SN

745....745 spent it's first few years at a grumman plant on the east coast then went to vickers, before being finally sold to a private party in Oregon ~ 2005...I bought it off ebay in 2008

SN745 went straight to the west coast, and spent most of its life in silicon valley...finally it made it up to Oregon but to a different shop...I bought it off of craigslist the owner was downsizing..

Anyways these two machines (which were built right next to each other at the mtb factory nut different paint jobs and installed options) have by pure fate and after taking entirely different routes finally ended up sitting directly next to each other once again ...in our shop which is where they will most likely serve the rest of their lives in semi-retirement...

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Vinny, it's a VERY small world. Since we buy old machines we have a couple guys running machines they used years before.

I think you never really run out of programming, it's the lack of work most times. We've slowed drastically so I'm being asked to take a Friday off for the next few weeks. Our clients are tight right now so they pass it on to us. They have contracts but no one has cash to move with the projects. It might just work out that I move on to another shop soon. I was thinking along those lines anyways as my share of health insurance is going up through the roof (save remarks for another thread I think...).

*** AMEN!!! ***

Btw, which Bosto? We have 10 of the damn things! These are the old 4

**** we have a few. But this one is a 1981 bosto with a winchester drive and floppies added, and prolly a brain upgrade. I love it. 100 IPM sucks, but damn its right to the tenth and a breeze to setup. I just think it's weird how I'm running the same shit 15 years later. And cv, UG bought them too from what I understand. *****

spindle 4axis and 5axis singles with the 720k floppys!

**** Yep, 720, with a hardrive and connected to the net ********

I often joke with the Siemens folks about how come I can never fit my finishing programs on those disks the first try.

**** the winchester drive is 40 meg I think. But your right, half of what I program is 30+ meg. But there's a reason I think.... Its high speed thinking. If it filtered for arcs in the three planes it would be small, but I think the high speed mills need lines only. I'm just guessing, I'm soon to run the high speed makinos etc... and I will see if thats the case. On a haas, the file would be one tenth the size, but it would choke doing a huge file.

Basically there's no filter for a reason, but I'm just guessing

******

Also, been to the ug nx.cam newsgroup lately? Some guy asked a question and I threw out some outlandish crap for an answer. If you got time take a look at my answer, let me know if it would work if you got the time.

******

My first real cnc machine to use was a bosto with the then fancy touch screen Vector Control.

Shit mine was a bridgeport series 1. Damn things had no readout at all. But we had three in a row making it fun as hell lol!

*********

Back then I used Computervision's CADDS5 to program with. It was on the same level (if not a bit better) than the UG of those times.

***

UG swallowed up CV from what I understand????

Am I wrong?

*****

-- Bill

Reply to
vinny

Let the Record show that "vinny" on or about Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:56:36 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in alt.machines.cnc the following:

So ... no advancement at all? LOL!

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Our owners never saw the need to link them to the network. Now it would take a major control upgrade to do it. They are old and beat so...

Ya, new controls are so fast you can send anything and most won't choke. The bostos we need to strip out seq nos if the program gets large. Being blade work you use a ton of sub routines.

I've been over there lately trying to work out some machine simulation building issues. Unfortunately there is no class offered (yet) for ISV so I'm driving a bit blind. It's based on Post builder but involves a bit more tcl language programming for it to work.

nx.cam is a very professional forum so help there is quick from some real experts. If you have specific questions they will help. Generalities are less on the list. Politics or other cam systems are never discussed (except in the context of support for NX). That's where I go for real help (beside gtac). I'll poke over there...

Just thinking not exactly true (brain fart). My first cnc mill was the bridgeports with the cnc control using tape. That was back in 1974 highschool machine shop. Stayed on manuals doing prototype till about

1993 when our shop got the Bosto and CV. Before cnc I would make parts using any tool in the shop - mill, lathe, grinder, edm, whatever was needed. I would have stayed on the floor had that side of machining grew.

No, PTC picked up CV but they already had so many financial troubles from owner/management changes to sending all the source programming to India. Cliff is actually quite versed in the history of that software. Last I heard it was still big with ship builders in Europe.

Quite a storied past btw:

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill