FreeDimension Better Than NURBS?

Be nice if one could actually try it to see if it really is better than NURBS.

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Got some answers e-mailed to me today:

"We will be introducing our product FreeDimension at SIGGRAPH next week August 1-3. There will shortly be a trial version on the website as we will be handing out trial versions at the show."

What is FreeDimension:

"FreeDimension is a remarkably intuitive and powerful 3D modeling system for concept design and creative art. The product, based on FreeDesign's patent-pending N-Sided-Surface (NSS) technology, is a radical departure from traditional 3D modeling products. NSS frees designers from the stranglehold that quadrilateral surfacing technologies like NURBS and Bezier surfaces have held on the design world. In contrast, NSS enables design freedom by allowing users to focus on the curve network of a model - similar to how one would sketch a design on paper. Numerous innovative tools are available to help shape curves and surfaces and to control surface tangency across curves. FreeDesign models are a fraction of the size of CAD counterparts and are ideal for communication and collaboration."

"Automotive Styling Demo:

The first is an automotive styling demonstration that was initially put together for Toyota and Honda as part of a training session held in Japan. The video runs for 12 minutes and was created as excerpts from the original 58 minute interactive styling session. Much of the demonstration shows the styling of curves which can be performed while surfaces are shown or not shown. In either case, as a curve is modified, adjoining surfaces are updated dynamically"

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Received by e-mail today:

"We currently output IGES files. With our beta 1.1 trial going out next week, however, the NURBS output of our n-sided surfaces has not been included .... but we plan to be pretty fast in turning out new betas. We're just getting the wheels turning right now with our interfaces to other formats. We do output STL in the beta if that is of any interest."