guessing motor voltage/amp specs

So I have this older big DC brushed servo motor, with no nameplate on it. It has an odd tachometer, that is driven with a gear off the back shaft. So how do I determine the motor voltage and current? It could easily be 90V, 172V or whatever?

ca

Reply to
clay

Lift the connector shells and look at the wire gauges go get a general idea of the current rating (Icont). Measure the winding resistance(R). Back drive the motor at a known speed (1750 rpm) to measure the back EMF (Kv = voltage generated/1.750). Question: Is the tach geared up? If so this may be for a very low speed operation.

Reply to
jeff