How do you turn round cavities on a manual lathe?

Is there a special tool to turn round cavities on a engine lathe?

Thanks,

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

the radius turning attachment

typically

OhNo

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

With a radius attachment...or maybe a form tool...depending on size.

see:

an example of a radius attachment.

Reply to
Anthony

Wes, Here is a link to a Holdridge ball turning attachment:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Will this work in the .30" to 1.06" range? Incase you are wondering, I'm thinking round ball moulds for muzzleloading.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Thanks Steve and Anthony. Just realised I posted to AMC vs RCM. oops.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I suppose its all in the accuracy of the setup but it should do.

ask the manufacturer to be sure

1.06" ball................I would not like to be in the way of that blighter
Reply to
OhNo

Tracer lathe attachment will do it too.

John

Reply to
john

Make a cherry, then mill your own. Or better yet...if you know anyone with a decent hydraulic press..cut a pair of aluminum mold blocks, put a centering dimple in the proper place, put a proper diameter steel ball bearing between them, and put it into the press. Remove, mill the corners square, drill for pins and spru hole and voila..perfect mold. You may wish to scribe a few vent lines..or not.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Ball Endmill? At least for fractional sizes.

Fred

Reply to
ff

I have a true-trace unit for sale for only $500, washington, PA

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Button nose turn tool ?

Reply to