CNC Chuck Balancer

I have a friend, they turn quite a bit of cast components. I was at their place this morning, and I noticed that their machines vibrated quite a bit, as the part was being turned, and when you multiply that by 7 machines in a row, it was pretty scary to me.

Is there such a thing as an automatic balancing tool, or system, where the setup guy can use, while setting up, to know how much counter weight to use, so that the machine doesn't vibrate that much ? I was telling him that he's just waiting for the day for a chuck to bloody pop out or the machine topple over.

Thanks for any information.

Adrian

Reply to
adchin

simple........make up a bolt on sealable container............add water as required.

Reply to
OhNo

"adchin" wrote in news:44941da9$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.tm.net.my:

I don't know if anyone makes anything that works automatically, but we use to eccentric rings that just clamp on behind the chuck to do offset turning. Basically you just slide them around from opposite sides and adjust by experimentation until you get the balance close. You have to have a chuck adapter made to take these though.

Reply to
Anthony

the old grinder principle only its a little finer...

Reply to
OhNo

Balance Dynamics (Baladyne) makes some automatic units, but they are pricey. I used their fluidic ones to do a trim balance on grinding wheels and they worked quite well for that. An alternative is an external unit. We use one manufactured by Sigma in Japan for dual plane and trim balancing of our spindles. It takes perhaps 5 minutes to get a good balance.

Reply to
jeff

Thanks Jeff

I shall take a look at the stuff you mentioned later today.

Adrian

Reply to
adchin

Yup. Lord Active Balancing (formerly Baladyne). We've integrated some (on the CNC side) and they're pretty slick.

paul