How to stop part from warping

I am turning a 23" ID by 28" OD by 2-1/2" THK piece of 1020. Part keeps warping around a thousandth. This causes the 15 degree angle that runs from the back to halfway up the OD to be out of tolerance. Here is how I machined it.

1) Roughed to withih .200. Basically get the burn and scale of the metal. 2) Sent out for stress relief. 3) Tack welded in 4 places to a holding plate. Turned the back to within .050 4) Broke tack loose. Skinned holding plate. Flip part over and bolted to plate. turned back to within .050 5) Tack welded in 4 places skinned to finish. 6) Broke tack loose. Reskined plate, rebolted, finish turned.

Anyone have any ideas on how to simplify and make this type of part work? Tolerance is with .001"

Thanks Mike D

Reply to
Mike