machining carbon based composites

what's the difference between machining composites and metal. Some say CBN more like grinding fast speeds slow feeds.
depth of cut?
What' metal is the most similar

For starters you need diamond coated tooling.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

The people that want to know know if I know about composites are using UG NX5 so I'll assume it's not just 2D sheet metal processing and programming. The only thing I'm not fimiliar with in the jog description just says Hydrolic presses, and 3 month contract and I all I've ever cut that's composit is roulon-J (mix of teflon and brass) and some disks that were about 1 inch thick by 3" O/D ) I don't know what they we're made of but were use on reace cars not aerospace. Is there a class of carbon bassed composites that are standard to aircraft structures?
As far as diamond or or CBN coated cutters I'm more concerned with machining techniques since they need 5 axis machine programming?.
understand stamping but how and why do they need hydrolic pressing? What do they do form the rough blank to be machined when it's warm???

Cliff is right for once!!! We got a 5 axis waterjet this year for this exact purpose. There is a definite learning curve in getting the cut conditions just right so it does not de-laminate, but basically what we do it what Cliff said. You get some piece that is some odd shape....maybe 6~8 ft long ....many different widths and cut the excess off. a few holes here & there...done.

I'm thinking they are milling with diamond cutters in pockets at high speed 20000 with full 5 axis. But I'm not sure they use all vacuum fixture. Hydrolic pressing might not be a close enough fit from pats surface to top of fixture on op 2.

Almost of of the carbon fiber I've seen machined at Dow-UT was held with vacuum fixtures.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
jon_banquer wrote:

so I've been doing it all wrong for over 10 years with great success, I should have known. I have never used a diamond tool yet. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Listen fucktard stop putting words in my mouth and stop lying like your retard pal, Brewer or a scumbag like Joe788 does on a constant basis. I never said you have done it wrong for ten years or even implied you said this. In FACT, I had no idea you machined carbon fiber, nor do I care.
What I did say and all I said was if someone is cutting carbon fiber they need diamond tooling, That's because anything else I've tried didn't last. If you've got something else that works fine post it and let the group know. Until then suggest you shut the hell up until you have something specific of value to add.
Is Cliffy Huprich your long lost brother because you both seem very similar?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer wrote:

jon, Here is something more specific,
I program the boat components for 35 boat manufacturers. Ever heard of Rio-Tinto Alcan? They not only make a bit of aluminum but they are a huge composite manufacturer. I program their US boat companies sales for all of the US. I have seen a bit of composites material machine old boy.
Composites are manufactured in sheets, actually I have built their composite molds as well as composite surf board molds for the previous owner, Penske Composites. Eleven years ago I was contacted by the President of Penske Composites and was asked to generate their first router program for machining composite material. We have NEVER used diamond tooling, carbide works just fine and is much more cost effective. The greater r=the density, the more speed feed adjustments must be adjusted. The Penske company was in Mt Juliet TN but after being purchased by Alcan, the operations were moved to New Jersey. I still do their cnc programming for the boat component kits for said 35 companies.
I have seen a bit of composites material machine old boy. You are once again barking up the entirely wrong tree. Michael
Cliff & jonny, why not just read the list for yourself at the following link.. http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/gallery.htm
fwiw jon, The post said *carbon based composites*, -=-not carbon fiber-=- as you diverted to.

--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

I like specifics.

No but them I'm honest and you're often not.
I've heard of Alcan.

I ASSumed he meant carbon fiber and my experience is carbide dulls very, very quickly in carbon fiber. I guess I shouldn't have ASSumed he meant carbon fiber.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA