Check Out SolidCAM's New iMachining

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Or you could just link right to the proper SolidCAM page instead of spamming your comedy blog.

Joe788

14 downloads in the last hour.

Thanks!

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Hi Jon, I like solid edge ST across a broad range, its not of course a clone for every other CAD software out there, and this v1.0 version of the software has bugs as you would expect, and some management issues that seem like they might sort out... at the lower levels the wagons got circled and pore ol philsie here was schmeared a bit. :) But that does not seem to be the tactic if you take it upstairsgetting past the firewalls, between Siemens and their new cad folks took some time..but its do-able, they seem so far quite pro-active at Seimens US. its only been 4 days so far and there are signs of action. I will know by Friday or monday for sure most likely.

Reply to
phil scott

Re SE, I finally got a list of their pipe library items...they seem new at this...*no valves* or sweat to thread adapters etc are included. so its about 50% usable if you draw your own valves etc, or import them, thats do-able but a **real chore according to some ... and the instructions.

I will work with them on this feature if its do-able I will import autodesks killer libraries...but you have to do it one item at a time..and program each item separately to fit the routing software..

You cant use their pipe xpress route to get a workable job with that library... their huge 'standard parts library' had no *valves that I could see either, but did have for instance weld-o- lets for 5 foot diameter pipe... thats a 30,000 dollar item, selling maybe one a year world wide or less.

Drawing and assemblies in SE is at least 70% simpler than with Inventor. Printing to a sheet is also a lot easier, and the line width selections etc etc are vastly better than IV...the 2D drawings can be made to look very much superior... a characteristic I appreciate. piping has issues however along with local mgmt. shock is the term I believe.. or maybe stunned awe.. maybe the motha company will address this, maybe not... I hope they do. I will have a better idea friday and Monday.

Their paid help desk (when you have maintenance is superb...world class with no exceptions... that was a pleasant surprise.

.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

the inventor librarys are on disc.....

I dont know what parasolid means, but if it means the valve is an outside view only.. I think thats what you get with inventor re valves,... those can be very complex memory hogs, 50 of those or so in a drawing even as just shells ... adds up.

SE says they allow and provide for the use of other peoples solid models in their library and give instructions on how to do it.. my views on further association are in flux however.. it is some of the best software, maybe top 10% or so, with maybe a bottom 1% market penetration... to avoid collateral damage from what is causing that condition, Seimens may have to address the issue.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Phil,

Parasolid is the kernel (engine) that Solid Edge is built around. It is a software component that can be licensed and is owned by Siemens. A Parasolid file contains no parametric history. It is a "dumb" solid.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

The Parasolid file format is a very good way of moving parts back and forth between different CADCAM systems. Parasolid is more reliable and more robust than say IGES.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

thanks jon, I will see if autodesk is using that kernel... what are the odds? dooes anyone know?

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

I believe that autodesk uses ACIS....basically the same thing as a parasolid....but a different company. I also recall that autodesk might be developing its own kernel. SE should be able to import an ACIS (it has a .sat extension) just fine.

Reply to
Donald Pmurt

Autodesk no longer uses the ACIS kernel. Autodesk purchased the code a few years back to ACIS and they now develop their own kernel. That kernel is called Shape Manager.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I wont say much here, but as things are shaping up, its going to be a while before piping works in ___...

I will try using SE with TurboCAD...TC is no slouch on solids, but I dont know its limitations yet.. it does fine coordinate pipe routing though as fast as you can drag yer mouse, and you can buy pipe libaries for it under 100 dollars..

I may do whatever I cant do in TurboCAD, in SE...and put SE on holding pattern mode after next june when my maintennace expires, then move myself back to InventorPRO's latest version ..or stay with TC and use one of the industrial plant piping programs I'm studying..

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Thanks... can a cad idiot do it?

Phil scott (typing) had to stop chewing gum.

Reply to
phil scott

Im not going to spend any more time trying to sort this out ... ... or the hog tied library's needed to make its relevant feature work.

i did like many aspects of the software though...

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Im still investigating, both the technical aspects of 4 different programs, their help and tutorial options..and in some cases management and VAR issues... when I find one or combo that fits all the requirements I will hone in on it.

I need a program or set of programs I can set my clients up with..so they have exactly what I have.. I can set them up with macro's and a library of equipment they build for me from the same base.

Each software has its strong points and weak points..SE's strong points are quite nice indeed....its help desk is world class, a wide range of its techncial capabilities are quite nice..

for piping and some other aspcts,im going to be concentrating on though, one of the plant piping programs i have on trial, and TurboCADmechanical PRO ..may end up being the choice... that and various management issues might see me off in those directions.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

Jon is NOT going to be happy about this. You're the only person on speaking terms with him that actually uses SE. How in the world is he going to get his precious "specifics" if you stop using the software and return it?

Reply to
Joe788

THAT is because YOU have not recognized JB's status as a true god...

you are as bad as clifford who wouldnt know a god if one jumped up and bit him in the ass... and for sure JB and I are on he same page with the crappy manual situation, and bugged tutorials that take months.

the tutoriall I got at JB's recommendation from ozz..are fast, clean and to the point, makes remembering the drill easy...and you get to learn Limey speak. thats nice. sort of like that lizzard who speaks so well for Geiko insurance.

The issue with SE might resolve shortly...I wish them well.

it appears to be just one of their guys not up to speed on pipe or that you can't mix the various national standards etc.

... all fixable in that case... most likely with mouse clicks if they bought the library from a third party vendor.

That would be nice. Meantime though I have to get it going with another program..

. Im still in evaluation mode, technical and to see how they will treat my clients. . it its longer than a few months, yes I will be cooking in another direction by then.

Ive not gotten a trial copy of SW yet, I will see if can get a 1 year trial offer..if I can get that with the pipe and wire routing I might.. .depends on how the others Im looking at pan out.

I am temped though by an industrial specialty program though... I could do a lot with that.

Being a cad idiot myself, and new with solids and trying to sort all this in the dark has been messy, I'm sure that Im a part of the problem...but sure as hell not the entire problem...

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

jon, I downloaded the video, what a waste of motion. How many extremely small passes does this thing generate? If there is 1" on 2 sides of the part this software makes 100% periphery passes until the thick stock is gone? wtf is that about? Decent software will let the heavy stock areas get machined efficiently then even finish passes are made around the peripery. This junk makes a dozen very thin stock passes on all outer sides even when there is little stock present. If they imoprove that repeated non removal their cytime would greatly improve, fwiw, the hsm is where they are saving time, not in cutting method. That moating approach seems like it would suck in steel, they fake you out by machining soft material that way. The HSM is the only thing that package has going for it but most software is HSM efficient now anyway.

Why don't you ever see through this kind of software? Michael

Reply to
Michael