Time For A New Computer

Will be used for CADCAM only.
Here is my initial quote from Fry's Electronics:
Corsair CMPSU 1000W ATX Power Supply -> $279.00
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe / Wifi-AP Motherboard -> $219.99
Zalman GS1000 Case -> $169.99
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 BX 2.83 GHZ @ 1333 12MB Cache -> $329.00
DDR3 4GB 2000 MHZ Dual PA (2x2GB) With EPP 2.0 -> $349.99
Quadro FX 570 256MB DDR2
Any comments or suggestions?

I would also suggest a 24" 1920 by 1200 monitor.
Bob

I already have two 24" monitors. Both are Samsung 245BW's. That is why I didn't list them. I know the Dell 24" is far better but I didn't want to spend $700 per monitor. I paid about $400 for each Samsung 245BW.

I already have two 24" monitors. Both are Samsung 245BW's. That is why I didn't list them. I know the Dell 24" is far better but I didn't want to spend $700 per monitor. I paid about $400 for each Samsung 245BW.
The Dell is probably the same thing quality wise. I have a Samsung 242MP. I want a Samsung T240HD.
Bob

The Dell monitor had much better color than my Samsung does. Nicest I've seen so far. I can't justify the extra cost for what I do especially because Mastercam makes such poor use of Open GL compared to say SolidWorks.
jon_banquer wrote:
> Corsair CMPSU 1000W ATX Power Supply -> $279.00
I think thats a bit overkill.. 600+Watts should be just fine.. Just need to find out the power reqirements of the hardware your using and get what you need.
> ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe / Wifi-AP Motherboard -> $219.99
no comment..
> Zalman GS1000 Case -> $169.99
Why spend so much for a case? you going to wear it out on a hot date?
> Intel Core2Quad Q9550 BX 2.83 GHZ @ 1333 12MB Cache -> $329.00
Decent, if you wait till Q1 of next year, intel will be unleashing its mack daddy processor the i7
What all are you going to be running on this machine? if your going to be doing rendering, or using programs like Cosmos, then a quad will help.. but if your just going to be using solidworks and the like, a high end core 2 duo would be sufficient.
> DDR3 4GB 2000 MHZ Dual PA (2x2GB) With EPP 2.0 -> $349.99
What operating system are you getting? If your going with Vista, get 64-bit and run 8GB of ram, more the better I always say..
> > Quadro FX 570 256MB DDR2
Card should do just well..
If the boss would give me the go ahead.. this is what I would get..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/wishlist/wishlist.asp?WishId 8CE61E-0B13-4F12-B9FB-360BC1335594&&SRCCODE=WEBWISH

I like quality. You like SolidWorks.

If a gay, naked man jumped on your back would you beat him off?

You sure it's not next month in time for the Christmas rush or would this be another example of how wrong you often are?

Why should anyone downgrade to Vista from XP Pro.
jon_banquer wrote:

*sigh*
you asked for opinions so I gave mine. Grow up..

As usual, Jon gives no justification for any of his selections, just pathetic insults.

It shows you don't have clue one when it comes to parametric-history based modelers where the best computer isn't fast enough.

Still wouldn't be enough.
Suggest you start reading the Jon Banquer blog and get a clue:
http://jonbanquer.blogspot.com /
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

If you have the skills the demand will still be there if you know how to market yourself.
If you're like Kriss Hogg (DrollTroll, Mr. PV.), can't use a CADCAM system and lie about your machining skills then you're in deep "s".
Here is an example of Kriss Hogg lying:
http://www.aperfectdealer.com/nbnews/fall_04_vol3/story4.html
"Kristofer Hogg... has an extensive background in machining and manufacturing processes."
Kriss Hogg has never held a job in a machine shop.
Kriss Hogg has never gone to trade school for machining.
Kriss Hogg doesn't have "extensive background in machining and manufacturing processes."
Kriss Hogg is the kind of liar that an economic depression destroys.

Kriss Hogg owns how many machines? Kriss Hogg develops and markets how many products?
Jon Banquer owns how many machines? Jon Banquer develops and markets how many products?
That's what I thought.
1-Skip the DDR3 & get a mobo that supports DDR2. There is very little performance increase & there is a HUGE cost increase from DDR2 to DDR3.
2-I for one am not sold on the Quadro cards either. From my own tests running Mastercam I found little to no difference between a Quadro & a high end GeForce.
3- Check out http://www.ibuypower.com/ should save you are few $$$ vs Fry's
On Oct 7, 5:32am, snipped-for-privacy@rise.zzn.com wrote:

DDR3 is dropping in price fast so maybe best to get it now.
Can Mastercam benefit from dual GeForce cards / SLI?
Hi Jon,
Buy the fastest dual core processor you can afford instead of whatever quad core you can get for the same money. Most applications out there won't give even 2 cores a workout. Typically the "guts" of the main application runs in a single thread, which results in 1 core near 100% and the other idling keeping the UI and system responsive. The clock speed of individual cores on a quad core will be slower (for the same money) as those on a dual core. So with a quad, the guts runs slower and the UI and system are more responsive!
We bought a quad core a little while back and were hugely dissappointed.
OTOH, if you like to multitask. Then a quad core with lots and lots of RAM is a good choice. Individual apps might not run blisteringly fast, but you can Blog, CAM and whatever, all at the same time (but only if you've got enough ram to avoid paging ti the disk).
Brian.

Mastercam users seem to think that it's all about the cache and that a big cache is what really helps Mastercam. From the e-Mastercam forum:
"Don't go dual core, they have half the cache of a quad."

Don't know. I've never been able to multitask worth a damn with Windows.
On Oct 7, 5:32 am, snipped-for-privacy@rise.zzn.com wrote:

Have you tried running a GeForce with SolidWorks?
I'll need to run SolidEdge with ST on whatever card I get.
jon_banquer wrote:

Or just get this, and throw a quadro or high end GeForce card in it....
http://tinyurl.com/3f839v
That's what I've been doing for the past couple of years now. And just buying a new one pretty much every year.
Steve Mackay wrote:

I finally took the plunge and bought one of these last night for my wife:
http://tinyurl.com/vyk1
After playing with it for just an hour, I've come to the conclusion it won't be long before I buy another one, for me. :)
--
Black Dragon

Dammit, how many times do I have to tell you? _F_I_R_S_T you rape,
Black Dragon wrote:

LOL! What I have been telling you? OSX is da bomb! If only there were some more mainstream cad/cam apps for it. I currently own 4 OSX boxen. 1 "hackintosh" laptop. A Dell E1705 running leopard, a G4 mac mini, a Dual G4 PowerMac, and a core duo 17" iMac.
BTW, changing the HD out on the iMac is a *MAJOR* pita.