Time For A New Computer

Steve Mackay wrote:

I was convinced quite a while ago. My problem had always been the entry fee was a bit high. So I mistakenly thought. When you look close at what you get for the money and compare them to PC's, the Macs do indeed offer quite a lot of bang for the buck. And the prices HAVE come down while the quality has gone up. THAT doesn't often happen anymore.
And my wife? She was reluctant as all hell at the idea of replacing her dead P4 XP Pro machine with a Mac. People were telling her they were hard to use and there wasn't any software for them, I just kept telling her ignorance knows no bounds. Thursday I took her to an Apple Store and when the first sales kid approached us and asked if he could help I told him I wanted to walk out with an iMac and that he needed to sell it to *her* so I could. 2 hours later (they were busy and we had to wait almost an hour for them to swap out the 2GB RAM for the 4GB I wanted) we did just that. :)
And I agree with you 100% about the CAD/CAM software, If it weren't for that I'd have absolutely no reason at all to keep a PC around for desktop computing once I have my own Mac.

We got 1 Mac so far. 20" iMac / 2.66GHz / 4GB RAM / 320GB disk / 256MB Radeon video / 320GB external FireWire drive.
When I get a Mac it'll be the same thing but with 512MB video if available. The 24" is too big for me, I don't even like doing CAD/CAM on anything bigger than 20" wide screen LCD monitors now, resolutions can be cranked so high these days massive monitors aren't needed anymore.

When the time comes, I'm not cracking open an iMac, it looks like doing *anything* to the hardware is a major pita. I would rather take them to the Apple Store and pay to have the work done. That is until I can get my hands on one I don't give a shit about breaking. :)
--
Black Dragon

Of course, most people eventually give up bowling for sex.
Steve Mackay wrote:

Sadly they have nothing for people that don't like turfing a monitor every time they get a new computer that doesn't cost the earth (mac pro), or totally suck (mac mini)
The imacs are not a viable desktop replacement IMO, since you cant share it via a KVM, they are limited in their local storage (not even esata on them) expensive optical drive replacements vs $25-30 max on a standard desktop and limited ram upgradability.
I'm going to give a hackintosh a shot on a desktop machine when I get enough $$ together for one but being a student it is a very slow process, mainly so I can verify that stuff works ok on them, since I have in the past made some flash that had font issues on a mac which was embarrassing.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/processors/?p 3
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Richard wrote:

4GB RAM and 1TB storage isn't enough for desktop computing?
You're out of your mind.
--
Black Dragon

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.
Black Dragon wrote:

There's /never/ enough RAM and storage ;)
--
ah

There's never enough computing power for history based modeling and there never will be.
http://jonbanquer.wordpress.com/history-based-parametric-modeling-vs-modeling-with-synchronous-technology /
jon_banquer wrote:

http://jonbanquer.wordpress.com/history-based-parametric-modeling-vs-modeling-with-synchronous-technology /
Pardon?
--
ah

Black Dragon wrote:

I have 6 in my desktop at the moment, and will be going more when I can.
Being the best thing I ever did sticking a spare 2 extra gigs in.
and I have a couple of hotswap bays in my PC for storage needs, esata would be a perfectly usable alternative if I had to but I dont want the 1tb to all be on one drive that takes any more then a few seconds to remove and take with me.
I just dont like the idea of all in one boxes, never have done and never will. apple dont want to sell me a computer.
Richard wrote:

Why not go Pro?
I've got a Dual Xeon 5150 with 6GB and 3TB; it runs both Leopard and Vista x64 native, beautifully <s>
--
ah

ah wrote:

They are too expensive. There needs to be something that has a standard quadcore core2, normal ram and normal sata, im not interested in paying workstation prices for hardware just get get a more convinent form then an imac.
Also a sensible case would be nice rather then something that has to be handled with kidd gloves inorder to preserve its finish...
Richard wrote:

Actually, the cost of a Pro is commiserate with--or even less-than--comparable "PC-type" Xeon-class machinery.
C2D is "consumer-class" materiel.
As for the RAM: it works.
re: the SATA: it's the same, all over ;)
I'm a fan of the Opteron, but AMD really needs to get their desktop performance together, in a hurry.

You do need to get past fingerprints, Richard <g>
--
ah