CAM software

is like delving into the underworld, the mafia...........when asking searching questions even from the suppliers.

mention one particular maker and bang, you get a full load of buckshot in the face, from someone you don't know, never seen who appears out of the murky gloom............

Reply to
tpow

I've been using Bobcad since V17 I'm pretty good with v21 I can't find the time to learn my new v22

A friend of mine just bought Alibre, I can't tell what features he got in his package. He has done most of the demos and successfully ran them on a 3 axis cnc router I set him up with.

Some advice:

Don't let the salesman bully you into anything. They want and need your money. I never pay the asking price at Bobcad. You might not get away with this on the initial purchase, but in the future, feel free to abuse your sales rep a little.

Reply to
Jon

If Bobcad is the answer, what was the question?

Reply to
Michael

If you ask about a certain software THEN you get the full load............if you don't then you get some reasonable responses. As in this case someone is actually saying that a certain software is very good. As my reseller said yesterday ALL need working with and some of the lower cost packages are very good, I'll still not name names............I don't need that load.

Plus had I said what do we all think about *#*#*#*#*# then BANG off go the antis who probably have never even used it. Again we only hear from 1 in a thousand, the other 999 are having fun with it.

So please more answers.............

Reply to
tpow

The question was:

If I want to use a very buggy piece of software that is poorly designed and laid out and never properly tested before it's released, by people who have no idea what tools a CAM programmer really needs, than what would be my best choice?

The answer too many CAM software problems can be found here:

Look for much more to be added this weekend.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

load............if

Nope try them all then report back to us

Reply to
over a barrel

precisely the answer I expected..................

Reply to
tpow

Precisely the answer you deserve.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Everyone has an opinion, and that's great. Each individual finds something that works for their particular set of circumstances. I hear people trash BC, but don't offer up their favorite alternative, and please mention the cost to acquire and maintain your alternative

Reply to
Jon

Ok. No names... (this is quite generalized then):

Brand X at $4000: (I don't know the ones cheaper than that) Pros: Very simple. Easy to learn for simple easy to machine parts. Great for getting the average setup guy to make some programs. Low cost.

Cons: Primitive modelings tools. Tough with large data sets i.e., large models with many operations and tools. Quickly grow out of it when you expand your work complexity. Legacy data will be an issue when you change systems.

***

Brand Y at $22,000: Pros: Cad and Cam are one. Endless modeling tools, high end multi-axis machining ability. Full control of data including shop documentation and model revision. Fast even with complex programs.

Cons: Harder to learn. Fewer (cheap) programmers use it. Cost.

***

Or....... Entry level model of Brand Y at $$8,000:

Pros: Fairly simple (with minor training). Cad and Cam are one. Your "good" setup guy will learn it. Great modeling and cam tools. Upwards technology growth. Moderate price.

Cons: Price compared to Brand X.

-- Bill

Reply to
kinzie

I guess you don't read very well. I offer an alternative to BobCRAP all the time. It's FeatureCAM and can be had if you know the right people for $3,000. Maybe $2,500.

By the time most users have paid for all the BobCRAP upgrades, training software, training seminars, etc. they've paid $3,000 or more and still have pure garbage. The exception to this is someone like SVL that still uses BobCRAP V17 and knows the BobCRAP game. Someone like SVL is maybe ahead in terms of pure dollars spent but he'd still be much better off with FeatureCAM.

Perhaps I should devote a page on the Jon Banquer Blog to this subject.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer