OT-Andre Norton Passing

Andre Norton Nears End

News Andre Norton, who had been hospitalized with flu and pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home under "hospice care."

"She is losing the battle with her illness and is tired of fighting," wrote Sue Stewart on a Norton message board. "I made the decision late yesterday evening to bring her back home to be with us, her cat and her books when she departs... You're more than welcome to send your cards and flowers here. I want you all to know that she's aware that you care and she appreciates it." The address published on the SFWA News site is: Andre Norton c/o Sue Stewart, 1007 Herron Street, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.

In the meantime, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) announced on February 20 that it has created the Andre Norton Award, a new literary award to recognize outstanding science fiction and fantasy novels that are written for the young adult market.

Reply to
Gunner

Sad news. Her "Time Traders" series is one of my favorites! I just read the latest installment about a month ago.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

The Time Traders

The Defiant Agents A Key Out Of Time the above 2 were later released as one book called The Time Traders II

Galactic Derelict

The Time Traders III (I don't think I read this one and there isn't any info about it on Amazon so it may be an alternate name for another one)

Firehand (cowritten with P. M. Griffin)

Echoes In Time (cowritten with Sherwood Smith)

Atlantis Endgame: A New Time Traders Adventure

I haven't read Echoes In Time. The Amazon reviews were really bad so I jumped straight to the next one. Apparently it was more like a Sherwood Smith book than an Andre Norton book. Atlantis Endgame was pretty good though.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I didn't know it either until a few years ago. Apparently she originally adopted the name Andre to sell her stories in what was traditionally a man's world and she eventually officially changed her name to Andre.

Here's a better explanation if you're interested:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

The last time I read anything of hers was in the 60's - never forgot her , though! Hope her time to come will be an interesting journey.

Reply to
Peter DiVergilio

Yes

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Actually her original pen name was Andrew North. I've got a couple 50's Ace Doubles with that name that were later reprinted standalone with Andre Norton as the author.

Reply to
Jim McGill

I think that most of us who in our fifties were exposed to her writings.

Her condition sort of illustrates what I have been saying in another thread that most people die because they give up....

Reply to
Omega

I have the Ace "Voodoo Planet/Plague Ship" by her. Maybe others...I think "Star Born" and a couple of the "Time Traders" books as well.

Those Ace Doubles had some great sci-fi--and some awful sci-fi too. :-) Amazing--two SF books for 35 cents.

Reply to
Thomas Nulla

I think the last time I did an inventory...I had something like 700 Ace doubles. Growing up...they were the best bang for the buck in SciFi.

I haunt the secondhand stores and will occasionally find a mom & pop book store that sells bulk books..5 for a buck sort of thing.. The last good one in Bakersfield folded up a couple years ago, they sold the building for a Mexican grocery store...sigh

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Most libraries have an annual book fair. They usually charge a couple of bucks per grocery bag full. A little more for hard cover. I've found rare and signed book at the fairs as well. Our library takes all donated books whether they need them or not. They sell the ones they don't need cheap.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

700 Ace doubles! Ooh, I am jealous! I sold a bunch of my old SF books way back when to finance my teenage rebellion. :-( Regretted it ever since. Some of those Aces have become classics, reprinted as singles at ten times the price. Some I've never seen elsewhere.

I buy/trade far more used books than new. I'm cursed with a serious reading addiction, like Heinlein's Oscar Gordon:

"I'll read the ads in an old Paris-Match that has been used to wrap herring before I'll do without."

Reply to
Thomas Nulla